Texas A&M senior Daniel Rodrigues lines up the ball during The Aggie Invitational on Saturday, April 6, 2024, at Traditions Golf Club. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Slumped at the semis
Photo Courtesy of Maddie Pearson
For the love of birds: Students unite to protect migratory species
J. M. Wise, News Reporter • April 25, 2024

The deadliest building on campus for birds is one dedicated to studying them. At least 23 birds this year have been killed from window collisions...

Slumped at the semis
Idani Cantu, Sports Editor • April 28, 2024

The No. 22 Texas A&M men’s golf team traveled to St. Simons Island, Georgia to compete in the 2024 SEC Championship in hopes of taking...

Nicholas GutteridgeApril 25, 2024

Nervous about graduating? Opinion writer Nihan Iscan says there are great opportunities in not knowing your ideal career role. (File photo by Meredith Seaver)
Opinion: Embrace the unknown after graduation
Nihan Iscan, Opinion Writer • April 28, 2024

Graduation countdown has begun, and if you are anything like me, you're probably dealing with a whirlwind of emotions ranging from excitement...

College football Week 4 top 10 matchups

Photo by Kyle Heise

Fans celebrate during a game vs. New Mexico on Saturday, Sept. 2, 2023.

10. No. 3 Texas @ Baylor (6:30 p.m. on ABC)
When Texas and Baylor meet up this weekend in Waco, it will extend the streak of playing each other every year to 79 years. However, that streak will end after this season with Texas moving on to the SEC.
Both squads have started their seasons in opposite directions. The Longhorns are 3-0 with a 10-point win over Alabama while the Bears are 1-2 with losses to Texas State and Utah.
Despite that, this game will be closer than one might assume. The animosity at Mclane Stadium is going to be high and the last thing the Bears want is for Texas to have the final bragging rights in this rivalry.
Baylor does not seem to have the same talent on the field as Texas. The Longhorns will win in a game too close for comfort for their fans and continue their push for a Big 12 title.
Winner: Texas
9. Auburn @ Texas A&M (11 a.m. on ESPN)
The matchup this weekend between Auburn and Texas A&M is one that may not get much national attention, but should not be slept on. Both teams are still trying to find their identity and the verdict for both squads’ season is up in the air.
Whoever wins this matchup however, will have a good launching pad into the thick of SEC play. It could also be considered a must-win matchup with Georgia, LSU and Ole Miss awaiting the Tigers in the next three weeks while A&M will be faced with Arkansas, Alabama and Tennessee.
The loser will be faced with a tough task to turn their season around as the competition will only elevate.
A&M’s defense still has major question marks, but Auburn’s offense looked lackluster in its only power-five game of the season against California. Despite A&M only having one win over the Tigers at home since joining the SEC, the atmosphere at Kyle Field will be too much for Auburn to handle.
Winner: Texas A&M
8. Arkansas @ No. 12 LSU (6 p.m. on ESPN)
It’s the wild, wild SEC West so far in 2023. A case could be made for most of the teams in the division to make an appearance in the SEC championship.
Last week, LSU all but eliminated Mississippi State’s chances in a blowout win. They have the chance to do the same against an Arkansas team that choked away a win at home last week against BYU.
However, the Razorbacks should not be taken lightly in this matchup. Senior quarterback KJ Jefferson is still one of the top QB’s in the league, and the Arkansas defense is not to be reckoned with.
The Tigers offense, however, presents too many challenges, and the atmosphere in Death Valley at night is one of the toughest to play in.
LSU will come out on top in this one and improve to 2-0 in conference play.
Winner: LSU
7. No. 4 Florida State @ Clemson (11 a.m. on ABC)
Despite being just Week 4, Florida State traveling to play Clemson might be one of the most important matchups of the year in the ACC.
The hype for this matchup was greater before the season started, but due to the Tigers early season loss to Duke it has died down just a tad. Clemson looked putrid in its Week 1 matchup and questions are arising of Dabo Swinney’s future.
However, the importance still remains, especially if Clemson were to defend home turf and upset the Seminoles. If not, then hope of making the conference championship game dwindles.
Florida State has room for error in the ACC, but a loss could dampen its chances for the College Football Playoff. Could a one-loss ACC champion make the playoff? Possibly, but the Seminoles won’t want to test their chances.
The home field advantage for Clemson will play a major factor — but not enough to down the Seminoles. However, the Tigers will keep it close throughout.
Winner: Florida State
6. No. 14 Oregon State @ No. 21 Washington State (6 p.m. on Fox)
Oregon State and Washington State have been big talking points during the offseason, but it’s not because of each other’s chances of competing for a Pac-12 title. Both teams have been seemingly left out of joining a major conference as the Pac-12 lays on its deathbed.
Each school’s future still has a lot of questions, and for fans of the school, conference realignment has not been fun. What has been fun is their 2023 seasons, leading to a top-25 matchup in Week 4.
The Cougars first two wins were rather impressive. They blew out a Colorado State team that forced No. 19 Colorado to overtime last week, before winning convincingly against Wisconsin.
Oregon State sits at 3-0 as well, but the competition has not been the same. There’s no doubt the Beavers have a squad that can compete with the top of the conference, but No. 14 in the nation makes them a little overrated.
That ranking will go down after this week though, as Washington State will defend its home turf and improve to 4-0.
Winner: Washington State
5. No. 24 Iowa @ No. 7 Penn State (6:30 p.m. on CBS)
A Big Ten championship and possibly college football playoff implications are on the line with No. 7 Penn State hosting No. 24 Iowa. Despite being in opposite divisions, a loss for either side would hurt their chances for a conference championship appearance.
Penn State already sits at 1-0 in the conference with a win last week at Illinois. They also have an impressive win in Week 1 against West Virginia. If the Nittany Lions can continue to roll they will set up some huge matchups later in the year against Ohio State and Michigan.
For Iowa, a win would be massive in the sense of momentum. So far, the Hawkeyes look like the best team in the Big Ten West, but the offense has left more to be desired.
Due to that and how tough it is to play at Beaver Stadium, the Hawkeyes will open their conference season at 0-1.
Winner: Penn State
4. No. 22 UCLA @ No. 11 Utah (2:30 p.m. on Fox)
In the second of the top-25 matchups in the Pac-12 on this list, UCLA visits Utah in a primetime matchup. Much like Oregon State and Washington State, both teams will likely need a win to keep its College Football Playoff chances alive.
Utah already has a pair of Power-5 wins this season against Florida and Baylor, however the offense has looked unimpressive without senior quarterback Cameron RIsing. The defense is going to have to step up if they want to take down the 3-0 Bruins.
For UCLA, its matchup this week will be the first against a P5 team, however, they have defeated two tougher Group of Five schools in Coastal Carolina and San Diego State. Just like Utah, the offense has left a little bit more to be desired.
This should be a defensive matchup, but UCLA’s offense has looked better through the first three games. That will be the reason the Bruins go into Utah and pick up an important win.
Winner: UCLA
3. No. 15 Ole Miss @ No. 11 Alabama (2:30 p.m. on CBS)
Alabama is favored by 6.5 points against Ole Miss this weekend,but that should not be the case.
The Crimson Tide have the worst situation at quarterback that they have had since hiring Nick Saban. After being benched in Week 3, sophomore quarterback Jalen Milroe will be back as the starter against the Rebels.
Ole Miss’ quarterback situation is the complete opposite. Junior quarterback Jaxson Dart has looked like one of the best quarterbacks in the SEC through three weeks. Mix that in with sophomore running back Quinshon Judkins and the Rebels have one of the best offenses in the country.
The home team is going to have a tough time going blow for blow with this offense. Don’t be surprised if the Rebels run away with this one. Even if they don’t, Ole Miss will come out of Tuscaloosa with a big time win that will boost its chances of winning the SEC West.
Winner: Ole Miss
2. No. 19 Colorado @ No. 10 Oregon (2:30 p.m. on ABC)
If Deion Sanders wants to silence his doubters, a win on the road against a top-10 Oregon team would do just that. After being hyped up tremendously in the media after wins against TCU and Nebraska, Colorado has come back down to earth a tad after barely escaping Colorado State.
The Ducks’ offense has looked impressive this season, even scoring 81 points in Week 1. If Oregon continues to win, senior quarterback Bo Nix may have a case to be in the running for the Heisman trophy.
Unfortunately for the Buffaloes, the odds are stacked against them this week. Not only do they have to face a tough environment in Eugene, they will be missing sophomore wide receiver/cornerback Travis Hunter due to a lacerated liver.
Being 21-point underdogs might be a little too much, but the Buffaloes will still suffer their first loss of their season.
Winner: Oregon
1. No. 6 Ohio State @ No. 9 Notre Dame (6:30 p.m. on NBC)
All eyes in the college football world will be focused on the premier matchup of the week, as No. 6 Ohio State travels to South Bend, Indiana to take on No. 9 Notre Dame.
The Buckeyes could afford a loss in this matchup, but for an independent school like Notre Dame, winning this game is crucial for its playoff chances.
Ohio State struggled in Week 1 against Indiana before putting up a mediocre performance against Youngstown State. It appears Ryan Day is still trying to get things figured out with junior quarterback Kyle McCord.
On the other hand, Notre Dame is rolling with a 4-0 record after a blowout win last week at North Carolina State. The Fighting Irish are catching Ohio State at one of the best times possible, plus they will have home-field advantage.
Notre Dame will come out on top in this marquee matchup and improve to 5-0 on the season, setting up a huge matchup with USC in a couple of weeks.
Winner: Notre Dame