Aggie students gather to protest university funding of Israeli weapons manufacturing in Academic Plaza on Monday, April 29, 2024.
Students gather at A&M gather for pro-Palestine protest, calling for university divestment
Ana Renfroe, Head News Editor • April 29, 2024

Hundreds of Texas A&M students protested the Israel-Hamas war and assembled in Academic Plaza, demanding A&M divest funds and denounce...

Texas A&M senior Daniel Rodrigues lines up the ball during The Aggie Invitational on Saturday, April 6, 2024, at Traditions Golf Club. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Slumped at the semis
Idani Cantu, Sports Editor • April 28, 2024

The No. 22 Texas A&M men’s golf team traveled to St. Simons Island, Georgia to compete in the 2024 SEC Championship in hopes of taking...

Nicholas GutteridgeApril 25, 2024

Nervous about graduating? Opinion writer Nihan Iscan says there are great opportunities in not knowing your ideal career role. (File photo by Meredith Seaver)
Opinion: Embrace the unknown after graduation
Nihan Iscan, Opinion Writer • April 28, 2024

Graduation countdown has begun, and if you are anything like me, you're probably dealing with a whirlwind of emotions ranging from excitement...

A capella group Chanticleer to perform at Rudder

‘Music of a Silent World’ concert takes place Thursday
Photo courtesy of Stephen K. Mack via chanticleer.org

Grammy award-winning a capella group Chanticleer will perform at Rudder Auditorium on Thursday, April 11 at 7 p.m. The vocal ensemble, founded in San Francisco in 1978 by singer and musicologist Louis Botto, is often called “an orchestra of voices” according to its website.  Selling over a million recordings and performing to thousands of live audiences, Chanticleer is one of the most prolific recording and touring ensembles in the world. It performs in a variety of music genres including classical, gospel, jazz and pop. 

The concert marks the first time in 30 years Chanticleer has performed at Texas A&M. Part of the 12-member male chorus’ Spring Tour, its performance, titled “Music of a Silent World,” will take guests through centuries of choral and a capella music. 

Friends of Chamber Music and the School of Performance Visualization and Fine Arts will co-host the event, concluding the 28th concert season of Friends of Chamber Music of Bryan-College Station. Tickets are available at the MSC Box Office and are priced at $40 for regular admission, $5 for students and kids’ admission is free. 

Following the Friends of Chamber Music’s tradition of connecting music and art, visualization professor Dmitri Koustov will showcase a new abstract art piece that will be suspended above the stage at Rudder Auditorium. 

“I believe some oil is still drying up on the canvas in his studio,” Elena Reece, artistic director for Friends of Chamber Music, said. “That work will be showcased for one night only in Rudder Theater during the concert of Chanticleer.”

Koustov is known internationally for his colorful work in abstract art, which Reece said she believes will enhance the atmosphere for Chanticleer’s performance.  

College Station High School choral groups Chorale and Purple Reign will lead the pre-concert opening at 6:15 p.m. in the Exhibit Hall. One-hundred members of A&M’s a capella group Century Singers will join Chanticleer on stage to perform the last two songs of the concert.

In preparation for Century Singers’ performance, Chanticleer’s Music Director Tim Keeler will lead a masterclass for the Century Singers at the Music Activities Center from 12:45-2 p.m. 

Reece said the Century Singers’ involvement in the event is crucial to the Friends of Chamber Music’s goal of educating community members. 

“It is our way to approach [the] educational component of Friends of Chamber Music Series from a different perspective,” Reece said. “The impact of such educational outreach cannot be anything but very profound [and] very personal because it is engaging. It’s engaging on a personal level for every student who takes part.”

Along with preparing for their upcoming performance with Chanticleer, the Century Singers just returned from a national tour to the Grand Ole Opry and Graceland in Nashville, Tennessee and have their annual spring concert in Rudder Theatre just two days after they perform with Chanticleer. 

Despite the hectic schedule, Assistant Director of Choral Activities Thomas Gerber said this is an opportunity that Century Singers could not refuse. 

“Chanticleer is arguably one of the premiere choral ensembles in the world, definitely the United States,” Gerber said. “They’re all pro singers, and they do a lot of community outreach, but I’ve not been to a concert of theirs yet where there’s been a collaboration. I know they do it, but it’s fairly rare so it’s a very exciting opportunity for us to really sing with one of the best.”

Gerber said this is an important opportunity for his students to explore career possibilities and perform a new piece of music from Chanticleer’s unique repertoire. 

“When you can rub shoulders with some of the best at what they do and you’re doing that same thing, I think that’s just a really monumental moment in any performer’s career, and it can be very inspiring when you hear a group of this caliber perform and then you get to be a part of it,” Gerber said. 

Gerber said he hopes his students can gain lifelong experiences from Century Singers and performing with professional artists such as Chanticleer. 

“To have that full breadth experience where you immerse yourself in your academics but also get this wonderful opportunity to perform with very high caliber singers both in Century Singers and in Chanticleer, it’s just a truly once in a lifetime experience.”

To view the full program, click here