Junior Adela Cernousek tees off during the Bryan Regional of the NCAA Women’s Golf Championship at Traditions Golf Club on Monday, May 6, 2024. (Chris Swann/ The Battalion)
Aggies advance to NCAA Championships with fifth place in Bryan Regional

Texas A&M women’s golf coach Gerrod Chadwell may not be happy with the way his team wrapped up the NCAA Bryan Regional, but he can’t...

The First Lady search

With the upcoming retirement of Reveille VIII, the search for the next First Lady of Aggieland is well under way.
Tom Reber, assistant vice president for Student Affairs, said the Reveille Selection Committee has held several meetings and is still in the selection process.
“It’s going good,” Reber said. “We’ve met as a committee and agreed to the characteristics that we are looking for in the next Reveille. We are looking for a female collie or a dog with collie-like features from one to one and a half years of age.”
In searching for Reveille IX, Reber said the committee evaluates characteristics like approachability, a positive demeanor and an affection for people of all ages.
“She can’t just be a typical pretty dog,” Reber said. “She must be able to especially handle the pageantry of a football game, 102,000 people making noise and everything that goes along with it.”
Reber said the committee is looking beyond Texas borders.
“The nice part is that we have Aggie veterinarians all over Texas and the nation,” Reber said. “We’ve sent information out to them and we’ve also had correspondence from breeders in Minnesota. We’re just looking for the best Reveille, wherever she may be.”
Along with its own search, the committee is accepting photos from across the country of dogs that might be possible Reveille IX candidates. The deadline for photo submissions is Dec. 15.
Reber said whether the next Reveille comes from a shelter or a breeder ultimately depends on her qualifications. Reber said a shelter dog has never served as mascot, but such it’s viable possibility.
“There are a lot of people thinking that having her come from a shelter would be great,” Reber said. “I also think collie breeders would love having one of their dogs represent the university — especially those who are Aggies. It’s just another decision the committee is going to have to make.”
Select students are involved in the process, including Student Body President Kyle Kelly and Scott Evetts, mechanical engineering senior and member of the Corps of Cadets Mascot Company, Company E-2.
Evetts said representation of the Mascot Company in committee meetings is crucial in the search, due to the fact that Reveille IX will spend a lot of her time with E-2 members.
“We want to make sure that Reveille is exactly what the university needs, and that she fits what E-2 looks for in our mascot,” Evetts said. “We are the ones who take care of her so we know what she needs and what her lifestyle is.”
Evetts said the committee plans to have Reveille IX on campus by mid-April.
“I’m looking forward to when she comes to the dorms for the first time and she sees reveille XIII,” Evetts said. “It’s exciting that they’ll be living together for a month or so. That’ll be a lot of fun if we have two Revs roaming around campus.”