Head coach Trisha Ford talks to her players after Texas A&Ms win against Mizzou at Davis Diamond on Sunday, April 30, 2023.
Lights, camera, action
Texas A&M DH Hayden Schott (5) celebrating a home run during Texas A&M’s game against The University of Houston on Tuesday, April 23, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Over the outfield wall
Photo Courtesy of Maddie Pearson
For the love of birds: Students unite to protect migratory species
J. M. Wise, News Reporter • April 25, 2024

The deadliest building on campus for birds is one dedicated to studying them. At least 23 birds this year have been killed from window collisions...

Lights, camera, action
Hunter Mitchell, Associate Sports Editor • April 25, 2024

Thirty-two wins in 2021, eight in conference play. Thirty-one wins in 2022, six in conference play. Thirty-five wins in 2023, 12 in conference...

Over the outfield wall
Nicholas Gutteridge April 25, 2024

Art critic Theresa Lozano says Taylor Swift’s “The Tortured Poets Department” isn’t as bad as other critics say it is. (Photo courtesy of Republic Records)
Criticism: ‘The Tortured Poets Department’
Theresa Lozano, Life & Arts Writer • April 25, 2024

Rating: 8.8/10 From an anticipated release to a surprise double album at 2 a.m., Taylor Swift put it all out there with her recently released...

Hands and knees: Simulation gives poverty perspective

Cody Franklin — THE BATTALION
Participants make paper bags out of newspapers and glue that will then be “sold” to make wages for survival.
Cody Franklin — THE BATTALION Participants make paper bags out of newspapers and glue that will then be “sold” to make wages for survival.

Approximately three billion people live on less than one dollar a day.
On a hot September Saturday, A&M students and members of the Bryan-College Station community took part in a poverty awareness simulation by getting on their hands and knees and making paper bags to replicate a slum.
As part of a “Global X-perience” initiative, participants were immersed in a hands-on “Struggle for Survival” simulation, which facilitated discussion about poverty and allowed participants to explore the inner-workings of a poverty-stricken situation.
The simulation was put on by A&M Global Program Support and hosted by the Crossroads Foundation, a non-profit humanitarian agency based in Hong Kong, which facilitates simulations all over the world to raise awareness for global issues such as HIV, environmental challenges, disasters and poverty.
“They focus on a range of topics to get people out of their heads, so they experience something where they’re not just thinking about it — they’re actually dealing with it,” said Amanda Johnson, administrative assistant for global program support for the TAMU Confucius Institute and manager of logistics for the simulation.
The first step of the simulation was a group discussion and briefing led by David Begbie, director of experiential programming at Crossroads.
Begbie said the simulation was all about changing perspective and highlighting three main issues — education, empathy and engagement.
The participants were divided into a five-person “family” unit. Each person was expected to contribute financially by making paper bags out of newspapers and glue and then selling them to the “shop owners.”
Participants sat on cardboard sheets to represent the living conditions of third-world slums.
During the three 10-minute rounds of bag making, some family units were unable to pay for rent, food and water and were forced to give items such as their watches, cell phones and “kidneys” in exchange for fake currency.
Female participants were asked to give the landlord hugs to symbolize women in poverty selling their bodies to keep their families alive.
After the simulation, Begbie led another group discussion, asking participants to think about what they could be doing to help poverty in their communities and abroad.
“I have seen people leave their jobs and go into other jobs,” Begbie said. “I have seen charities form as a result of going to these programs. I have seen companies who have done very little engagement in the world suddenly turned to do really strategic actions for this planet.”
Alexandra Bruns, participant and international studies junior, said she didn’t want to forget the impact the experience impressed upon her.
“I don’t want to walk away from here today and forget about [the simulation],” Bruns said. “[Crossroads Foundation members] do this in order to move people into action, and they hope that us who were here today would really search out ways to serve these people. I don’t know what I’m going to do after college, but after today I know I want it to be worthwhile.”