Freshman Heather Abadie stalls out during the pole vaulting competition at the SEC Indoor Track and Field Championship on Saturday, Feb. 26, 2022.
Soaring for success
Youngchan Kang, JOUR 359 contributor • May 8, 2024

Supported by an athletic family background, junior Heather Abadie has continued to soar toward her ultimate Olympic goal as she sits atop Texas...

Games of Texas comes to B-CS

Graphic by Josh Seal
Graphic by Josh Seal

The World Cup is finished but that doesn’t mean world-class athletes will stop competing.
Texas A&M, along with Bryan-College Station will host the Games of Texas, an annual event administered by the Texas Amateur Athletic Federation, a non-profit organization that promotes amateur sports, said David Schmitz, College Station parks & recreation director.
“We expect 8,000 to 9,000 athletes and of course 15,000 to 20,000 parents, friends and coaches,” Schmitz said. “Of course the two citys’ staffs are putting together and implementing all the activities. A&M is helping us utilize some of their facilities on campus, such as the opening ceremonies are at Blue Bell Park.”
A&M will lend its sporting facilities for disc golf at Research Park, tennis at the Mitchell Tennis Center, archery at the PEAP building and golf at the A&M golf course.
Schmitz said the two cities will host the games for the next two years and the economic impact is expected to be positive for the area.
“Based upon what happened in Corpus Christi, when they finished hosting the games, they estimated $7½ million to $8 million economic impact per year,” Schmitz said. “We’re thinking we’ll do better, we’re looking at a $15 million to $16 million impact over the next two years.”
There will be 300 to 400 volunteers throughout the week helping set up the events along with the Texas National Guard, TAAF and a few Aggie volunteers.
The competition will run July 31 through Aug. 4. Opening ceremonies will be held at 7:30 p.m. on Aug. 1 at Blue Bell Park.