No. 25 Texas A&M Women's Basketball v. USC

Senior Forward Taylor Cooper splits two defenders for the score.

The No. 25 Aggie women’s basketball team played SMU in Dallas and could’ve secured an away win but ended up falling short 54-53 despite a comeback attempt.

After trailing most of the game and being down 12 heading into the fourth quarter, the Aggies (5-2) caught fire late behind the shooting of sophomore guard Danni Williams.

Williams scored 16 of her 21 points in the second half and had two rebounds and two assists. She was efficient from behind the three point line going 3-for-3. Williams has now scored 20-plus points for the four times this season.

Junior center Khaalia Hillsman scored 12 points on the night. With 10 points and 14 rebounds, sophomore forward Anriel Howard had her fourth-straight double-double this season. Senior guard Curtyce Knox had 11 assists and still leads the nation in assists per-game at 9.3

SMU (6-3) generated offense from multiple players with forward Dai’ja Thomas leading the way at 13 along with five rebounds. 

Junior guard McKenzie Adams was second on the team in scoring with 11 points and two assists. A few of the other Mustangs that put points on the board were forward Alicia Froling, guard Morgan Bolton and guard Kiara Perry. At the end of the night, eight of the 10 players for SMU scored at least three points for their team.

Both teams shot well in the second half — SMU at a 50 percent field goal percentage, compared to A&M’s 58 percent.

With tonight’s loss for A&M, the Aggies still lead the all-time series against SMU 27-18 dating back to the teams’ Southwest Conference days. 

The Aggies return to the court Dec. 8 as they take on TCU in Fort Worth. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. and will be broadcast on Fox Sports 1. The game can be heard locally on 1550 AM. 

Matt Koper is a journalism junior and sports writer for The Battalion.