Women's Basketball vs. Florida State

Senior Jordan Jones dished out nine assists and drew five charges in the last game of her college career.

The Texas A&M women’s basketball team’s Sweet 16 dreams were cut short Monday evening when the Aggies suffered a 74-56 loss to Florida State University at Reed Arena.

“Give Florida State a lot of kudos,” A&M head coach Gary Blair said after the game. “Veteran guards. Adut [Bulgak] dominated the game inside. Her defense [and] her free-throw shooting.”

Bulgak led the Seminoles (25-7) with 18 points and 13 rebounds, but it was the deep and balanced offensive attack that gave the Aggies (22-10) fits. FSU had three other players reach double figures in scoring and scored exactly its season average in points.

“Everybody contributed,” said Brittany Brown, Florida State guard. “It makes a big difference and I just think everybody contributed from the bench to whoever was on the floor at the moment, and I think that was definitely a turning point for us.”

Senior guard Courtney Walker led the Aggies with 18 points, setting the A&M career scoring record in the process. Fellow senior guards Chelsea Jennings and Jordan Jones pitched in 15 points and nine assists, respectively.

Walker fouled out late in the fourth quarter and left to loud applause from the A&M crowd. She ends her Texas A&M career as the school leader in scoring, 20-point games, field goals made and free throw percentage.

“Walker is the best mid-range shooter in America,” Blair said. “She’ll be a first-round draft choice, mark my words on that.”

The Seminoles, who advanced to the Elite 8 last season, led for all but nine seconds of the game. They shot 40 percent from the field – including better than 50 percent in the first half – and outrebounded the Aggies by a 44-to-35 margin, including an 18-to-12 advantage on the offensive glass.

After Brown’s gut-wrenching three-pointer as time expired in the first half, the Aggies refused to quit even as Florida State’s commanding lead remained constant. A&M scored seven straight points with less than five minutes remaining in the game to cut the deficit to ten points, but the Seminoles responded with four straight made free throws to put the game out of reach.

“I felt like the team played hard, we didn't quit,” Jones said. “That's what Aggies are all about. You don't quit. I was proud of the team and the effort that they gave us, that they gave the seniors.”

In the midst of the Aggies’ late run, Bulgak said that the Seminoles couldn’t help but think about the A&M men’s miraculous comeback Sunday night against Northern Iowa, a comeback that saw the Aggies overcome a 12-point deficit in the final 34 seconds of the game.

“Don't let up, that was the word of the game,” Bulgak said. “Don't let up. Even when it went down to like a 16-point lead, I was like, yo, they're creeping up on us. Get to work.”

Jones drew five charges in the contest, but the Aggies didn’t take full advantage by capitalizing on the offensive end.

“Every time Jordan would take a charge, we didn't make a run, and I thought that was crucial,” Blair said. “We'd take the charge and then get up, Jennings took one or somebody else did, but we never could get two baskets in a row to get into the flow of the game.”

The loss brings the Aggies’ season to an end. They finish with a 22-10 record and will have to replace seniors Walker, Jones, Jennings, Rachel Mitchell and Courtney Williams for next year’s team.