College

College is a lot different than high school, so often it can be difficult for students to know exactly what they need to succeed when it comes to accessories and school supplies. The class schedule is different, the structure is different and the housing is different. Here are some ways to make your life a lot easier in preparation for your first year at college.

School supplies

There are so many school supplies that shift from high school to college. In college, you don’t have a locker to keep all your things in. This is why it is the best idea to organize your school supplies accordingly. One way to do this is to have an 11x17 binder to keep your notes in for all your classes. Then you can organize your notes and keep a pen in the inside slot. Another tip is to have a crate to put in your dorm room to keep all your different class books in. This can act as a locker.

Another tip is to have highlighters for notes. This is a key to being able to study for quizzes and tests. Being able to highlight important information is essential to working effectively at school!

Space saving furniture and decorations

Keeping space in mind when decorating is a must for dorm living! Look at Ikea and other shops that specialize in making the most out of a dorm space. There are chairs that are comfy and foldable for you to store then bring out when you have company, as well as cheap rugs that are spill-proof. Some other tips are to find wall decorations that distract from the small room such as tapestries or tasteful posters that make it feel like home. Just make sure to consult with your roommate first. College can feel home sick your first year there, so make it as home-y as possible with your own personal flair.

Another tip to making the most of your space is lofting your bed and putting your desk and dresser under it. This is a way to save space and allow for more room for activities. This might not say feng shui, but it does make the most out of the space you are given, so it will have to do for a year.

Donate your old stuff

Your dorm room or apartment freshman year will usually be much smaller than any living space you have lived in prior to college, which will take some getting used to. One way to make it even more spacious feeling is to get rid of things you don’t need or wear anymore. It is time to turn over a new leaf and toss out your clothes you have had since seventh grade. Take this as an opportunity to be minimalistic when looking at your wardrobe. What are items you wear all the time that are staples in your closet? Keep those and throw out things you don’t wear. This will give you way more room for storage and for any new clothing you accumulate over the first year. This is something that is great to do every time you move to a new location.

These tips all will help you make the most out of your dorm room, class schedule, and overall first year at college. These have the potential to be the best years of your life, so be sure to prepare as much as possible and embrace this lifestyle change.