Maui Getaway

The perfect tropical getaway is found in the sunny, pristine island of Maui, Hawaii. With over 2.5 million tourists visiting each year, Maui is the second most visited of all 8 islands in Hawaii. With all the beauty and less of the crowds of tourist-filled Oahu, it has become increasingly popular as a vacation destination. Before packing a bag and heading off to some fun in the sun, though, there are a few planning tips to keep in mind:

Do your research

While vacation is all about disconnecting from daily structured living, planning activities in advance can help to ensure that travelers get the most out of their trip. While not every minute of the day needs to be planned, researching the excursions and entertainment options near accommodations before packing a bag can prevent missing out on memories. Similarly, booking these excursions in advance means never missing out on any activity, show, even meal throughout the trip.

Pack smart

Aside from the beauty preparations of waxing, shopping, and finding a nail salon nearby to prep both fingers and toes, there are steps to planning a trip to Maui to take into consideration. For starters, it’s financially responsible to choose a time of year to visit that is outside of the usual tourist season. Visiting during March, May, September, or November can cut costs of travel and lodging. It often reduces the influx of fellow travelers as well.

Packing the essential — clothes, sunscreen, etc. — is the obvious first step for loading a suitcase, but there are other things to include in order to best enjoy all that Maui has to offer. For adventurous types, Maui offers various hiking excursions that would require the proper gear. Pack for beach-wear, bringing long pants, and backpacks to hold your things for outdoor excursions. Also important is to bring plenty of cash. Not all places on the island will accept credit cards, so plan on needing cash on a fairly regular basis.

Which excursions do you do

The most popular activities in Maui are, as expected, surround water or scenic vistas. For fishing enthusiasts, there are various fishing charters specific to the type of catch its guests seek to score. Take a sport fishing cruise to land marlin, ahi tuna, or mahi-mahi. Climb aboard a bottom fishing charter to catch barracuda, snapper, even sharks. One of the best parts is that guests can keep their catch to cook up back on shore.   

For those less inclined to sport outings, there are a variety of adventurous activities to explore. Hit the trails for a hike along volcanic rock trails, cliffside waterfalls, and tropical lagoons to jump in and enjoy. Take in the scenic beauty of the island and snap photos along the way to show your friends back home. Rent a board and take a lesson from one of the island’s seasoned surfers or rent a kayak to explore with other water-enthusiasts.

Maui also prides itself on its snorkeling and SNUBA adventures. SNUBA, a combination of snorkeling and SCUBA, gives adventurers longer periods of time under water to explore without the need to resurface for air. Various tropical fish await guests along the coral reef to take in the majesty and depth of the waters. Additionally, the snorkeling tours allow adventurers to take in the scenes of the waters from the surface. Many excursions are specific to its sights such as whale watching and turtle watch tours. Each is relatively affordable and requires advanced booking to accommodate as many guests as possible.

Once the multitude of daily excursions are complete, returning to land and taking in a traditional Maui luau is the ideal way to end the day. There are plenty of shows to choose from including romantic themed dances, dances highlighting the history of the island, and fire shows. When all is said and done, the planning and preparation from packing to booking will result in the ultimate Maui vacation.