College

When it comes to buying your first home, you will be super-excited, but it can be a little overwhelming at the same time. There's so much to do to make the home your own, as well as quite a few things to consider — and even more things you should know. Below, you will find a few of the things you should consider as a first-time home buyer, so that you don't make critical mistakes during the process.

Save for the down payment

It's important to note that most mortgage lenders and loans require some sort of a down payment when purchasing a home. Save the down payment first, and then go searching for the type of home you want and can afford. The more money you save towards this goal, the better off you will be as the amount you have will determine the type of mortgage you qualify for. It will also help determine how much you can borrow, as well.

Get pre-approved first

One thing first-time buyers often don't realize is that you don't have to find a home before you apply for a home loan online. In fact, it's better to try to get pre-approved for the loan you want, beforehand. In this way, you know exactly how much you have towards your home and can look in the right price range. After all, no one wants to find the home of their dreams only to learn from the lender later on they can't afford to buy it. Getting pre-approved is your best bet and the best way to go, as well.

Shop for insurance ahead of time

Since you won't be able to finalize the purchase on your new home without it, start checking out home insurance quotes early in the game. Take your time, as different insurance companies will quote you different prices. Read policies carefully, looking for things such as what the policy covers and any out-of-pocket expenses you will be expected to cover. Remember, flood insurance is not often included in homeowners insurance policies, so you will want to ask about that, as well.

Stick to the budget

Remember, the amount you are pre-approved for in your loan is the ceiling and doesn't cover other monthly expenses. It's best to look at homes that are under your pre-approved amount just to be on the safe side. After all, you never know what type of emergencies can arise, from the dishwasher going on the fritz to a plumbing problem you weren't expecting. Remember, problems do arise with a new home, no matter how hard you try to prevent it.

Always purchase quality furniture

Once you have signed on the dotted line to take possession of your new home, you're going to want to get down to buying furniture and decorating the space. One thing to remember is to forego the inexpensive furniture and only buy quality modern furniture instead. The old saying you get what you pay for is very apt when it comes to buying furniture. You want something that will last, not furniture you have to replace in a year's time.

Take your time and only buy the best quality furniture at the most reasonable price. If your budget doesn't allow for a houseful of quality furniture, then it might be best to furnish a couple of rooms at a time.

These are just a few of the top things you should know as a first-time home buyer. Always get pre-approved before you start searching for the perfect home, and make sure the furniture you furnish your home with is of the best quality and you will be fine.