Panic Room Supplies

A panic room gives you a sense of solace during a time of panic. Even during a break-in or natural disaster like a thunderstorm, a specialized room can give you the peace of mind your family needs to get through it.

Don’t let the name alarm you: a panic room (or safe room) can be built however you need it.  But you should make lists of what you may need in the event of an emergency. Here are some tips on creating the perfect safe haven for you and your family.

What do I need in a panic room?

In 2016, there were just over 1.5 million burglaries in the US. While that’s lower than previous years, that’s still far too many. During an emergency, a panic room can be the difference between a good night’s sleep and a sleepless night, especially for those who suffer from anxiety attacks.

You need to research what kinds of materials to build the room with, so it can withstand natural and manmade events. Protective materials like commercial fire-rated doors can ensure your room withstands the heat of a fire and the wind pressure of a natural disaster such as a hurricane.

Working with contractors that understand your vision is vital to building a durable and structurally sound structure, so know what needs to go into it before you start construction.

Customize for your needs

Rooms should include safety essentials that can last for hours or potentially even longer. Sometimes emergency services take a while to arrive, and it’s always better to be prepared.

It’s vital to include food, water, and other provisions to keep you comfortable. Take into account who is with you, such as your children or older family members like grandparents. Games and child-friendly items can help distract the kids and ease their nervousness during a stressful time.

Create an evacuation plan and a must-have list to help them feel more comfortable in the event of a disaster. Crank devices such as radios or flashlights can be used without power, so stocking some inside your panic room can be an ideal choice if you even need them.

Other important supplies

Again, food and water are important. There are plenty of long withstanding food items such as freeze-dried items like soups and coffees and of course ice cream, and even milk. Always take the time to look over expiration dates.

Flashlights and lanterns that run for long periods of time are another good choice. Even if you don’t even need to use your safety room, having these on hand is always helpful when the power goes out. Safety or emergency blankets can benefit you in a lot of circumstances, especially during extreme weather.

Board games, devices that can be hooked up to USB, and other special toys can be stocked away for kids so they feel safe. It also may help ease their minds when they are busy in the event of something like a tornado warning.

It can be difficult for your mobile device to catch a single during a terrible storm. A phone amplifier helps boost your cell phone’s signal to reach a wider range of people who could assist you. A landline can be another ideal addition in case the weather plays a part in knocking out your signal, helping you contact the specific authorities you are looking for.

Other products can be found at an outdoor store, like emergency food supplies and camping gear. Think along the lines of sleeping bags, toiletries, and first aid kits.