Mt. Kirkjufell, Grundarfjörður, Iceland

Mt. Kirkjufell, Grundarfjörður, Iceland

Iceland is a fantastic vacation spot for a multitude of reasons. It has great flight prices, amazing views, and tons of culture. If you are thinking of booking your first trip to Iceland, you might be wondering where to start. You’re in luck, because there are so many fun and cultural things to do on your Icelandic getaway!

Nature excursions

The Blue Lagoon is a great nature spot to start at. Here you can enjoy the outdoor geothermal spa on the Reykjanes Peninsula, and experience some of the most breathtaking views you’ll ever see. The spa is supplied by water used in a nearby geothermal power station.

The water is known for its age-defying powers, so head here for a skin-refreshing day of relaxation. And if you have a special occasion coming up, this is a fantastic spot for an Iceland wedding.

If you want to experience a beautiful Icelandic waterfall, head to the famous Gullfoss waterfall in southwest Iceland. This is yet another breathtaking site that you will not want to miss on your first Iceland trip.

Thingvellir is a national park east of Reykjavik that is known for the site of Iceland’s parliament from the 10th to the 18th centuries. The national park has ancient churches and stone structures. The park also falls in a rift valley that was caused by the separation of two tectonic plates.

The Elf School in Reykjavik

You won’t want to miss the “Elf School”, an Icelandic museum full of mystical teachings. You can learn all about elves and other creatures such gnomes, trolls, fairies. This is a fun thing to spend the day doing in Reykjavik because it isn’t something you can see just anywhere in other museums.

Some believe that Icelanders invented these “hidden folk” to keep them company during long winters. Iceland is not very populated, so folklorers must have had a ball coming up with these fun theories.

Experience the thrills of Iceland

Iceland is a great travel destination for adrenaline junkies and water lovers as well! Dedicate a day of your adventure to water sports like windsurfing and kayaking. These are great ways to soak in all the beauty while you get your blood pumping.

Iceland lacks some of the more dramatic rivers of other countries, but it has tumultuous enough rivers to still provide a thrill for adventure seekers. The Hvíta river in the south is a good place to start when looking to go kayaking or river rafting. The views are amazing and the water is some of the prettiest in the world. Iceland is also a great place to canoe because there are some clamer rivers that provide a relaxing stream; this is a more adventurous way to take in the sites.

Some other thrilling activities are mountain biking, hiking, skiing and snowboarding. The natural landscape is ideal for sports, so take advantage of it on your first trip. If you love winter sports, hit the slopes in Reykjavik for some fresh snow. Ice caving is another wild thing to try. It can be very physically demanding, but it’s unlike any experience you will ever have. You get to walk on ice and explore the inside of gorgeous ice caves.

Your list of activities to do will keep you busy on your Iceland trip. You might even have to make a second trip to accomplish all of them!