The Muster 2016 quote, announced Monday, emphasizes the importance of preserving the tradition.

“The truest respect we can give today in remembering the spirit of Muster is to preserve it. To live it. To be there,” reads the quote, taken from the 1980 Muster ceremony speaker address by Henry Cisneros, Class of 1968.

Muster Committee chooses a quote every year to emphasize what the tradition means to Texas A&M. Quotes are often taken from previous Muster keynote speeches, but can also be from current students.

“We feel it’s cool to find a quote that embodies what we believe is important about Muster,” said Mary Beth Abbott, Muster Committee media coordinator and nutrition freshman.

Abbott said the Muster 2016 quote was specifically chosen because it emphasized the unifying nature of Muster.

“The last part of it, ‘To Live it. To Preserve it.’ We just thought that was something that kind of called people to say, ‘You need to be there,’” Abbot said. “It also embodies the fact that Muster is a past, present, future thing that is going through the generations.”