Megan Rodriguez

Megan will receive her Aggie Ring on Saturday.

Even before coming to Texas A&M I knew the Aggie Ring was important, but the reasons I had heard are not the reasons why I am now anxiously awaiting Saturday morning.

I was told it would stand out, help me network and of course, I heard the classic stories of people who were hired on the spot when an employer saw their Aggie Ring. So, while I was happy to get a college ring, I was more excited for the possible assistance finding a job. However, nobody told me how many memories this small piece of gold would bring to mind.

I didn’t know I would meet my best friend the day I moved into my dorm freshman year and be receiving my ring with her during our junior year. I didn’t know this ring would remind me of all the movie nights, long talks and study sessions I had with her.

Nobody told me the tradition of my Aggie Ring would bring to mind the dozens of other traditions I have experienced during my time here. From avoiding walking under the Century Tree, even if it was the fastest route to class, and hearing some of my favorite jokes at Midnight Yell. Then, on a more solemn note, it will bring back memories of times I held back tears at Silver Taps ceremonies for students whose parents I spoke to for their child’s Silver Taps tribute articles.

Nobody could have possibly known to tell me my ring would remind me of unforgettable journalism conferences, countless interviews, late production nights and the incredible friendships I would develop at The Battalion.

I didn’t know it would take me back to IHOP runs with my Bible study, early mornings volunteering in the media booth at my church or connecting with people of all ages through various ministries.

Everyone who spoke so highly of their rings failed to warn me it would remind me of the stressful study sessions at Evans Library, the weeks when I constantly got fewer than four hours of sleep and the outrageous amount of coffee I consumed.

It makes sense nobody told me though. Nobody could have possibly known just how incredible my years at A&M would be and the way this ring would bring back all these memories.

Yes, my ring will stand out and maybe it will spark up a conversation during a job interview, but that doesn’t matter to me anymore. My ring will serve a greater purpose as my personal piece of Aggieland I can keep forever.

Even when I’m far away from the tall oak trees down Military Walk, even when I’m not just a few minutes away my favorite study spot by the Liberal Arts and Humanities Building, even when I am miles apart from The Battalion newsroom, I will have my ring. I will hold tight to this small treasure and even tighter to the memories it represents.

Megan Rodriguez is a communication junior and news editor for The Battalion.

Megan Rodriguez is a communication senior and editor-in-chief for The Battalion.