Texas A&M campus reopens after bomb threat

Published: Friday, October 19, 2012

Updated: Friday, October 19, 2012 18:10

Bomb2012

Roger Zhang - THE BATTALION

Students evacuate campus north of University Drive on Friday afternoon after the University received a campus-general bomb threat.

Bomb2012 - 2

Roger Zhang - THE BATTALION

Cars clog University Drive as students try to evacuate campus Friday afternoon. Campus is closed while University facilities are searched.

Update: The Texas A&M campus has been reopened after officials searched campus buildings.

The source of the threat is still under investigation.

He said high-traffic areas such as the Memorial Student Center, residence halls and athletic facilities have been cleared, and students who live on campus are free to sleep in their dorms.

“This is still an ongoing investigation,” Baron said. “We still have buildings on campus that have not been searched. Those will be closed until they are cleared for re-entry.”

He also said Friday night activities — volleyball, soccer, Midnight Yell — have not been cancelled.

Those who attend these activities should expect slight delays due to traffic.

“If anyone sees anthing suspicious or out of the ordinary on campus that they feel they need to report they definitely need to report it to university police immediately,” Baron said.

If those responsible for the threats are caught, Lt. Allan Baron of UPD said charges could range from "terroristic threat" to federal charges.

"Our class heard it over the intercom that there was a bomb threat and everyone just got up like a fire drill." said sophomore international studies major and member of the Corps of Cadets Brendan Crouch. "We're checking to see where our fish are — making sure they are safe."

Unsearched buildings remain closed, but Code Maroon reports that University is confident "event venues are safe."

Breaking:

Texas A&M University received a campus wide bomb threat Friday morning.

According to the University Police Department, the threat was received via email through Computing and Information Services.

Lt. Allan Baron of UPD said at a press conference that UPD was notified of the email at 11:15 a.m. He said there is not yet any information as to where the email originated or any specific buildings that were targeted.

The decision was made to evacuate campus at 11:30 a.m. Code Maroon issued an alert at 11:34 p.m. to students, faculty and staff, advising everyone to evacuate campus on foot. Tailgaters were also asked to evacuate.

“First and foremost, the thing that we want to accomplish now is to get those that are on campus, off campus,” Baron said.

UPD and the City of College Station bomb squad searched campus buildings, starting with the residence halls. Law enforcement agencies — from Brazos county, state and federal agencies — may assist the searching of buildings on campus. There are more than 800 buildings on the A&M campus.

“We don’t have a specific area so we are having to literally go through as many buildings as we can and utilize our personnel,” Baron said.

Students, faculty and staff were also advised against using a vehicle for pedestrian safety and to prevent traffic from forming.

“Our community safety is first and foremost,” Baron said. “As far as our policies and procedures regarding bomb threats, we take them all very seriously.”

CSPD assisted traffic direction to allow nearby personnel to evacuate campus. Baron said further assistance was provided by Bryan Police Department, the Sheriff’s department and Texas Department of Public Safety.

If those responsible for the threat are caught, Baron said charges could range from "terroristic threat" to federal charges.

Officials at LSU were notified of the threats and encouraged to tell fans to check A&M emergency websites for updates regarding the game Saturday.

St. Mary’s Catholic Church and A&M United Methodist Church on Northgate offered shelter to students.

Breaking:

Lt. Allan Baron of UPD said at a press conference that UPD was notified of the email at 11:15 a.m.  He said there is not yet any information as to where the email originated or any specific buildings that were targeted.