Vitamins

I care about my health, but I don’t know much about dietary supplements. One of the things I’m really curious about is where supplements actually come from and how the supplement business actually works. Who makes supplements? Can anyone just start their own supplement business and start making vitamins and fish oil pills and things like that? Is there a lot of oversight to keep consumers safe? Experts, please explain the supplement business!

It's great that you put such an emphasis on your health. The healthy habits that you cultivate are important, and supplements are designed to do just what their name implies — supplement those existing healthy habits. With healthy habits in place, supplements can be a great help to your health. Experts agree that adding a multivitamin to your regular healthy diet can't hurt, and likely helps you ensure that your body obtains the nutrients it needs. Other supplements can give you boosts of essentials like heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, which you'll find in fish oil available to purchase over-the-counter at just about any pharmacy.

To answer your main question, though, here’s what you need to know about the supplements business. You can trust supplements, in a large part because the supplements available in most pharmacies are the same proven supplements that healthy folks have taken for years. They’re made by the same trusted manufacturers who have been in the business for a long time.

Supplements are regulated by the FDA. In some ways, they are not as strictly regulated as prescription medications, but that doesn't mean that supplements are dangerous. The FDA still has the authority to crack down on supplements if dangers start cropping up. And most of the supplements you'll likely be drawn to are ones that have been on the market and that have helped people for years and years — they have a track record that proves their worth and safety.

Supplements are made by trusted manufacturers. In many cases, new brands of supplements are created when these companies work with an established vitamin manufacturer that has vast experience in the field. In other words, the "new" brand of supplement that you don't recognize is likely selling the same trusted supplements that have been on the market for years. That's the business model that works for lifestyle brands in most cases, and it's also a good thing for consumers who get supplements made by experts with years of experience.

Supplement manufacturers make it easy for others to start health and lifestyle businesses. Anyone can start such a business because it’s the experts who offer safe, cost-effective solutions to health and lifestyle businesses.

In very rare cases, it can be a bad idea to mix too many unusual supplements together. But the supplements that most health-conscious people are interested are far from rare. Things like multivitamins, fish oil, fiber, and other common supplements are perfectly safe and have been used, separately and together, by healthy individuals for decades. Just be sure to talk to your doctor about supplements, especially less common ones, and to do a bit of research to distinguish between facts and misconceptions.

You can and should add supplements to your daily routine. Supplements are safe and they may be able to help ensure that your body gets the nutrients it needs. Supplements can do everything from help you regulate your sleep patterns to supply you with a bit of extra fiber. Chat with your supplement-loving friends, your doctor, and your pharmacist to learn more, and start giving your body everything that it needs to be healthy!