26931177139_162fa94470_b.jpg

Graduation is looming, and the “real world” is starting to feel all too real to me. I’m worried about getting a job, because I chose to major in something I’m really passionate about, which also happens to be something that there are not a lot of jobs in. So now I’m going over my options and trying to figure out what I can do to catch the attention of employers. I didn’t do any internships (stupid me, I know), so I’m kind of stressed. Any suggestions?

First of all, it’s okay that you don’t have a job offer just yet--plenty of your peers have the same problem. And don’t fret too much about your degree, because the many successful people with “unmarketable” degrees prove that your undergraduate major is far from the end of the story when it comes to employability!

With that said, you’re wise to want to take a proactive role in making yourself more appealing to hiring managers. Fortunately, there’s a lot that you can do to add to your qualifications and increase your odds of being hired.

For starters, it’s not too late for you to get an internship. While doing internships for college credit is often the best move, you can still grab a paid or unpaid internship as a post-grad. That might mean living on less money for a while, but if you can afford it, an internship might be the best way to get on a career track from the start.

Another option is to seek more schooling or professional training. These days, nearly every career imaginable can be furthered by certification and training programs, say the teachers behind a program that offers a Certificate IV in Training and Assessment in Melbourne. That includes careers as diverse as business executives and security guards.

Going to graduate school is an option, too. Professional schools and graduate schools can open doors to more lucrative career paths. They can also boost your earning power within a career you might already be working on.

Committing to further schooling or training may not sound like the most appealing thing to you right now, but keep in mind that the type of programs you might be interested in can be shaped to fit your schedule. These days, even elite schools offer online courses and even entirely online degrees--take Boston College’s online MHA program, for instance. Low-residency programs, part-time programs, and online programs can make it easier to fit schooling into a schedule that may already include a job or an internship.

In short, you have a lot of options--so don’t panic just yet! You have a lot of time to shape your career. We wish you the best.

“Work to become, not to acquire.” -- Elbert Hubbard