Students assisted in B-CS integration
Published: Thursday, September 20, 2012
Updated: Thursday, September 20, 2012 02:09
Members of The Aggie Up Campaign gathered Wednesday in the Memorial Student Center to kick of the fall semester with their Aggie Up Carnival from 11am-2pm.
Sarah Jaks, chair of the Aggie Up Committee, said she sees the carnival’s purpose as twofold.
“The carnival is an event to teach students about off-campus issues,” Jaks said, “As well as to provide them with resources to allow them to live well in the community.”
The committee is a collaborative campaign between Texas A&M and Bryan-College Station that has existed for more than 10 years. According to the Aggie Up website, the campaign serves to inform students of off-campus issues including code enforcement, safety, environmental concerns and community building.
Participants — such as the College Station Fire Department, the College Station and Bryan Police Department, University Police Department, and Off-Student Living — answered students’ questions at booths set up in the 12th Man Hall.
Sgt. Calder Lively of the Uniform Patrol Division of CSPD said he hopes students are aware of the resources that are there to help them.
“The motivation behind this [committee] is to educate students about what we can do to help them enjoy their college experience, so that it’s not an ‘us versus them’ mentality,” Lively said. “We are all here to make this the best place it can be.”
Patricia Logan, police assistant for the CSPD, said the committee’s purpose is to teach students how to be respectful neighbors to permanent residents.
“We want to educate them on loud parties,” Logan said. “We know that they’re going to celebrate, but we want to make sure they’ll be able to do it right so they won’t get in trouble or fined.”
Raymond Olson, Deputy Fire Marshal for CSFD, explained the largest causes of fires, as well as precautions students should take in the case of a fire.
“The biggest thing for students is being careful about things that can cause fires,” Olson said.
From candles and stoves to electrical outlets, Olson said it’s important to be aware of the objects that are inside of the home.
“Smoking is one of the greatest causes of fires that we see,” Olson said. “But the number one thing to remember is how important smoke alarms are in buildings.”
Olson recommended residents to check smoke alarms’ batteries at least once a year, and to frequently verify that they are running correctly.
In addition to the on-campus carnival, the Aggie Up Campaign hosts various events throughout the year for the Bryan-College Station community. Their Noise Abatement Class serves to inform College Station Aggies of the city’s noise violation codes and to help them avoid future tickets.
The Aggie Up Committee also does a Walk and Talk once a semester, knocking on Bryan and College Station doors to talk to students and residents, and to pass out educational resources.
“It is a way to get out into the community,” Jaks said. “We target heavily student-populated areas to provide them with city rules and safety reminders like putting away valuables in car, locking doors, etc.”
More information about the Aggie Up Campaign can be found at their website, http://studentlife.tamu.edu/agoss/community/AggieUp.