Women's basketball beats Ole Miss, preps for Kentucky

‘Bookmark Game’ Sunday to promote childhood literacy

Published: Thursday, February 20, 2014

Updated: Sunday, February 23, 2014 02:02

Miss

Courtesy of The Daily Mississippian

Sophomore Jordan Jones directs the offense during Thursday’s win over Ole Miss.

The No. 16 Texas A&M women’s basketball team downed the Ole Miss Rebels 73-61 Thursday night, winning its fourth consecutive game and improving its SEC record to 11-2.

A&M (21-6, 11-2 SEC) jumped out to an early lead on the Rebels, shooting 50 percent from the field in the first half. The Aggies fast start was aided by senior center Karla Gilbert’s 12 first half points, the most she’s scored in an opening frame all season. 

Gilbert pushed her point total to 21 in the second half while pulling down 10 total rebounds to earn her sixth double-double of the season. 

The Aggies scoring was led by sophomore forward Courtney Williams, who posted 26 points, her second-highest career total and her fifth performance this season with 20 or more points. 

Upon its return from Oxford, A&M will welcome No. 15 Kentucky to Reed Arena on Sunday in a highly anticipated rematch of last year’s SEC tournament championship in which the Aggies upset the Wildcats 75-67. 

The game will be known as the “Bookmark Game” due to efforts the team has made to encourage reading among local elementary school children. 

“Essentially what this game is about is promoting reading in the community,” said Casey Doyle, assistant director of marketing for the Athletics Department. “We reached out to local elementary schools and we produced a bookmark that features Karla Gilbert, Jordan Jones and Courtney Walker. Each bookmark has a quote promoting reading and on the back it has information to redeem a ticket. Each child received a bookmark in the Bryan elementary school system so there are more than 7,000 bookmarks that went out. It’s just another way for these kids in the area to connect with our student athletes.”

In addition to the bookmark promotion, halftime will feature a “battle of the sexes” between former A&M basketball players Logan Lee and Katy Pounds Lee, who are now married. The couple will compete in a three-point shooting competition. After the game, fans who are members of the “winning sex” will receive an “I Love Aggie Hoops” decal on their way out of the arena. 

“If this might be something that’s going to generate interest with our students, maybe next year we’ll have Johnny Manziel come back and do it against one of my former players as well,” head coach Gary Blair said. “We want everything to be positive when [fans] come into Reed Arena.”

Tipoff against the Wildcats is at 1 p.m. and the game will be televised on ESPN2