Winter is here, baseball is coming

Aggies hold first practice, scrimmage in icy conditions

Published: Sunday, January 26, 2014

Updated: Sunday, January 26, 2014 23:01

Ice

Tyler Stafford

Ice collected on Olsen Field as the Aggies opened spring practice Friday.

With ice still on the ground, the Texas A&M baseball team held its first practice and scrimmage of the year on Friday. Senior pitcher Jason Jester talked about the struggles of playing in the weather.

“Some days it’s going to be just like this,” Jester said. “But it’s good for us, I think everybody’s attitude is good right now.”

Jester went on to talk about his decision to come back to A&M, despite having a chance to leave for professional baseball.

“For me it was a win-win,” Jester said. “I come back, get to graduate and get my Aggie Ring, or sign a major league contract and have a little money in my pocket.”

The Aggies have a talented group of freshmen, as well as some junior college transfers who will be competing for spots on the roster this season. Senior outfielder Krey Bratsen thinks the competition will be good for the team.

“I’m really excited,” Bratsen said. “We’ve got a bunch of young guys looking to earn a spot, which is helping us older guys work harder to save our spot. Overall, everybody is pushing each other to have a good year.”

On Saturday the Aggies unveiled their new video scoreboard, which sits in left field. A&M head coach Rob Childress praised the new addition, saying it may be one of the best in the country.

“Magnificent is the only thing that comes to mind,” Childress said. “It’s as great a scoreboard as you can ask for. If it’s not the best at any collegiate facility in the country, it’s real close and it’s going to be for a long, long time.”

The Aggies open their season against Northeastern at 6:35 p.m. on Feb. 14 at Olsen Field at Blue Bell Park.