Winston nabs Heisman, Manziel falls short in bid for repeat

A&M sophomore, reigning winner finishes 5th in 2013 Heisman Trophy vote

Published: Saturday, December 14, 2013

Updated: Saturday, December 14, 2013 21:12

After Johnny Manziel made history last year – becoming the first freshman to win the most prestigious award in college football – history made another appearance at the 79th Heisman Trophy presentation Saturday night.

Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston became the 79th recipient of the Heisman Trophy, becoming the second freshman and youngest player to ever win the coveted honor.

Manziel finished fifth out of the six finalists behind Winston, Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron, Northern Illinois quarterback Jordan Lynch and Boston College running back Andre Williams. Auburn running back Tre Mason rounded out the list, finishing sixth.

Manziel, a Heisman voter due to his status as a former winner, revealed his ballot after the ceremony. He voted for Winston for first place, Williams for second place and placed himself in third place.

Manziel’s passing statistics improved from his 2012 Heisman campaign, thought his rushing statistics dropped. Manziel led the SEC in passing yards with 3,742 while finishing with 33 touchdowns and a 69.1 percent completion rate. Manziel also added 686 rushing yards and eight touchdowns to his season totals.

Manziel led the Aggies to an 8-4 record and a berth in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl against the Duke Blue Devils in Atlanta, Ga. Manziel has said he will announce his decision on whether he will declare his eligibility for the 2014 NFL Draft after the bowl game.