Vandy edges men's basketball in OT

Flagrant foul gives go-ahead opportunity

Published: Sunday, February 16, 2014

Updated: Monday, February 17, 2014 18:02

After leading by 11 with 6:26 remaining in the game, Texas A&M fell to Vanderbilt 57-54 in overtime Saturday in Nashville, Tenn.

Texas A&M started the game on a 10-0 run, including two three-pointers from Jamal Jones and Antwan Space. Although Vanderbilt outscored A&M 30-26 in the second half, the Aggies never trailed the Commodores in regulation. 

After a dunk by Vanderbilt’s James Siakam cut the A&M lead to 49-47 with nine seconds left, Vanderbilt junior guard Dai-Jon Parker forced a jump ball, giving the Commodores possession with five seconds left. Straight off the inbound, Vanderbilt’s Kyle Fuller passed the ball to Rod Odom who sent the game into overtime with a long jumper. 

In overtime, A&M had possession down 55-52 when Jamal Jones was called for an offensive flagrant foul on Joseph Carter while attempting to create space for a game tying three with 8.1 seconds left. The Commodores’ Luke Kornet stepped to the line and hit one of two free throws to seal the Vanderbilt victory.

“You got to give Vanderbilt credit for the end of the game, executing when they needed too,” Kennedy said. “We got to make free-throws that I thought cost us the game.”

The Commodores ended the game on a 24-10 run, holding the Aggies without a field goal from the 6:26 mark in the second half.

Jamal Jones earned his first career double-double scoring a game-high 17 points and grabbing 13 rebounds, including five shots from three-point range.

Siakam and Damian Jones each managed to earn a double-double against the Aggie defense. Siakam scored 16 points and grabbed 10 boards while Jones added 12 points and a team-high 13 rebounds.

Vanderbilt now leads the all-time series against A&M 4-0 as the Aggies move to 0-2 in overtime games this season.

The Aggies will matchup next against the Alabama Crimson Tide at 6 p.m. Thursday in Reed Arena.