Tulsa drops A&M softball to win tournament

Published: Sunday, February 16, 2014

Updated: Monday, February 17, 2014 18:02

The No. 8 Texas A&M softball team (9-2, 0-0 SEC) fell to the Tulsa Golden Hurricane 5-2 Sunday afternoon in the Aggie Classic Tournament Championship. 

Tulsa leaves College Station as the Aggie Classic champions after going 5-0 through the weekend.

Tulsa jumped out to a 5-0 lead over the Aggies in the first two innings, ignited by a two-run home run in the top of the first by left fielder Erica Sampson. The Aggies tried to fight their way back into the contest, but only managed to muster two runs while stranding six runners on base.

“We had chances early on,” said Texas A&M head coach Jo Evans. “It’s all about timely hitting. We didn’t get a lot of hits. We threw some walks and we’ve got to figure out how to get a big hit at a big time. We weren’t able to do that in this game.”

Tulsa’s ace pitcher Aimee Creger held the Aggies in check throughout the game with 11 total strikeouts through six innings of work. 

Redshirt junior Rachel Fox started the game for the Aggies, but after giving up five runs early, she was relieved by freshman Abby Donnell, who came in and threw 5 and two-thirds scoreless innings, including eight strikeouts.

“[Donnell] was terrific,” Evans said. “I really thought she showed great poise on the mound.”

The Aggies started the weekend off strong, run ruling the Oregon State Beavers 8-0 in their first game of their Friday double-header.

In its second game of the day, A&M fell to the McNeese State Cowgirls 5-4, marking the Aggies first loss of the season. The Aggies stranded 11 total runners in the game, six of which were in scoring position. 

On Saturday, the Aggies were able to avenge their Friday loss to McNeese State by run-ruling the Cowgirls 11-3 in five innings. Seniors Cassie Tysarczyk and Amber Garza each had 3 RBI and a home run to lead A&M to its first win of the day.

The second leg of Saturday’s action for the Aggies came by way of a rematch against Oregon State, whom they defeated 5-4 on a walk-off double by sophomore Cali Lanphear.