Top-10 SEC opponent looms

No. 8 South Carolina to visit No. 25 A&M Thursday in Reed

Published: Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Updated: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 23:01

Basketball

Yomi Adenuga

Sophomore guard Courtney Williams makes a move to the basket during a 72-35 win over San Diego State in December.

The No. 25 Texas A&M women’s basketball team will take on No. 8 South Carolina Gamecocks at 7 p.m. Thursday in Reed Arena. The Aggies carry a six-game win streak into their matchup against the Gamecocks, currently the only other undefeated team in the SEC.

The Aggies come back to College Station after beating No.12 Georgia on the road last week, becoming one of only five teams to beat two ranked teams in one week this year: No. 1 UConn, No. 3 Duke, No. 5 Louisville, No. 13 North Carolina and Texas A&M.

The first 100 students to the game will receive gift cards to Raising Cane’s and there will be a Raising Cane’s eating contest at halftime.

A&M (13-4, 3-0 SEC) will put its eight-game home win streak, which is tied for 24th in the nation, on the line against South Carolina (16-1, 4-0 SEC). The Aggies are 17-7 all-time when 7,000 or more fans fill the seats of Reed Arena.

South Carolina enters the game with its lone loss coming to North Carolina. The Gamecocks 4-0 conference mark matches their best SEC start in program history. South Carolina’s freshman center, Alaina Coates, has averaged 12.4 points per game and is the reigning SEC Freshman of the Week.

Aggie sophomores Courtney Williams and Courtney Walker have averaged 12.6 and 12.8 points per game, respectively. Senior College Station native, Karla Gilbert, will look to continue her dominance in the paint and add to her 32 blocked shots for the season.

In Thursday’s game, both coaching staffs will be wearing pink ribbons in honor of South Carolina assistant coach, Nikki McCray, who announced earlier this week she was diagnosed with breast cancer.

The Aggies’ next test will come as they host Mississippi State — coached by long-time Texas A&M assistant coach Vic Schaefer — at 2 p.m Sunday in Reed Arena.