Texas A&M faces off against Florida at Reed Arena

Women's basketball looks to extend win streak to eight games

Published: Thursday, February 14, 2013

Updated: Thursday, February 14, 2013 00:02

The No. 11 Aggie women’s basketball team brings the action back to Reed Arena on Thursday as they battle the Florida Gators. In the past week, the Aggies took down LSU 74-57 before knocking off No. 15 South Carolina 50-48, each on their home courts.

The Aggies are first in the SEC right now and have an imposing 9-1 conference record. A&M has shown no signs of slowing down, and they will go into Thursday’s game with a seven game win streak.

University of Florida assistant head coach David Lowery said it’s going to be a difficult road game in College Station.

“We’re heading down to Texas A&M where they are leading the league in standings,” Lowery said. “So it’s going to be a very tough road game. We’re trying to get ready mentally and physically, get a good rest, come back ready to work, and head down to College Station.”

The Gators have just come off of two wins — one over Alabama and the other an impressive road win against Auburn for the first time since 2004. Jennifer George — the Gators only senior — usually leads the way, but the past couple of games freshman forward Christin Mercer has taken the spotlight. Mercer averaged 15 points and 10 rebounds against Alabama and Auburn.

Mercer spoke on her recent success and said the Alabama game felt distinctive.

“It was something about the Alabama game, something was just different.” Mercer said. “We started off, the first two points came, and it was like ‘Why stop?’”

Even with the Gators recent success, they are still 4-6 in the conference and will need to improve to a 7-9 or 8-8  record to make it into the NCAA tournament. With A&M’s current win streak and freshman guard Courtney Walker receiving the SEC Freshman of the Week award, Florida’s chances don’t hold much promise.

The Aggies are No. 1 in the conference in field goal percentage, three point field goal percentage and assists. Junior All-American candidate Kelsey Bone has contributed strongly to the Aggies’ statistics as she ranks No. 3 in the nation in field goal percentage and No. 2 in the conference in rebounding.

Though it seems that Thursday’s game should be an easy win for the Aggies, Texas A&M head coach Gary Blair says Florida can be a trap game.

“You cannot have a trap game. A trap game is Florida looking ahead to Kentucky.” Blair said. “Florida is one of the teams that are hungry; they have to have a signature win to get to the NCAA tournament.  So it’s going to be a dogfight all the way through.”