Football vs. South Carolina

The 2019 Texas A&M football team runs onto Kyle Field one last time.

Texas A&M dropped out of the AP poll after a close 19-13 loss to No. 4 Georgia on the road. This weekend, the Aggies will face No. 1 LSU in Baton Rouge. Here’s what A&M football players and Jimbo Fisher had to say before the game.

A&M-LSU makes history

When they travel to Death Valley on Saturday, the Aggies will become the first team to ever face three AP poll No. 1 teams in the same season.

‘Boxing match’

The A&M-LSU matchup is swiftly becoming a rivalry series, especially with the events of last season’s game. The trash talk has already started, with LSU coach Ed Orgeron saying after his game on Saturday, “It’s going to be on. I’ll never forget that game last year. We’re gonna be ready.”

The Aggies are maintaining the season-long narrative of “a faceless opponent,” but a close loss last weekend has made them eager to upset the Tigers in Death Valley.

“We’re going to have a lot of emotion as well,” junior defensive lineman Justin Madubuike said. “We believe that we could have beaten the No. 4 team in the nation, and we came up a little bit short. We’re pretty pissed off too, so it’s going to be a boxing match.”

Aggies focused on this year

The last time LSU lost a game was just over a year ago in a seven-overtime A&M win, and the Tigers haven’t forgotten. While LSU is seeking revenge for last season’s loss, A&M knows it is a new year, and that brings along new challenges. The Tigers have been dominant, averaging 48.5 points per game.

“We’re not worried about it,” junior linebacker Buddy Johnson said. “It’s the next game for us.”

Player updates

A&M coach Jimbo Fisher also gave an update on the status of two players:

• Freshman wide receiver Ainias Smith — should return
  • Junior defensive back Elijah Blades — questionable