Space, Aggies prevail in OT

Published: Monday, February 24, 2014

Updated: Monday, February 24, 2014 17:02

Déjà vu struck College Station as the Texas A&M (16-11, 7-7 SEC) men’s basketball team prevailed over the Tennessee (16-11, 7-7 SEC) Volunteers Saturday 68-65, thanks to a last second shot by junior forward Antwan Space just as he did with 4.4 seconds left in the Aggies 57-56 win over Tennessee Jan. 11.

Head coach Billy Kennedy was very happy to see his team continuing to fight to eventually finish off Tennessee in overtime.

"With eight seconds on the clock, we wanted the last shot,” Kennedy said. “We drew it up for Space to fake the handoff to Jamal [Jones] because we thought he'd attract a lot of attention. [Jarnell] Stokes did a really good job of playing defense on him, and if you know Antwan, if he thinks a big man is guarding him, he's going to shoot a three. We were really blessed that the ball went in. That's his shot. I don't love it every time, but it seems like it works against Tennessee."

Both teams started off slow, only scoring a combined 11 points in the first 10 minutes of the game.

At the 6:11 point in the first half, A&M junior Kourtney Roberson stole the ball from Jarnell Stokes and finished with a two-handed dunk.

With 2.4 seconds left in the game, Tennessee head coach Cuonzo Martin called a timeout just as Tennessee’s Antonio Barton hit a three-point shot that would have ended the game. Stokes would get fouled and score on the following possession, but would fail to make the free throw, sending the game into overtime.

Martin said that as a coach, he feels he made the right call when he asked for a timeout.

“We were scrambled offensively because [Texas A&M] switched some things,” Martin said. “One thing I wanted to do was give our guys a good shot and a good look at the basket. Antonio made the 3-point shot [after the timeout was called], but I wanted to give our guys a good look.”

With just eight seconds left in overtime, Space took a fade-away three-point shot over Stokes to put the Aggies up 68-65. Space would then steal the ball on the next possession, sealing the win for A&M.

“Coach drew up the play for me,” Space said. “He had confidence in me, so I had confidence in myself. I just shot it. When it left my hands, I just felt it going in. It was a good shot. I want to thank my coach for drawing that play up for me and having confidence in me. The option was for me to fake hand off and just isolate so I could get to the rim on [Jarnell] Stokes. [Coach Kennedy] pretty much drew the play out for me even though I was struggling throughout the game. The plan was for me to get all the way to the basket, but I saw them playing that, so I just shot it.”

Both Texas A&M and Tennessee had four players score in double figures.

Tennessee had two players earn double-doubles. Stokes put in 16 points and grabbed 16 rebounds and Jeronne Maymon also had 16 points and pulled down 13 rebounds. Jordan McRae, the Volunteers leading scorer, also came away with a game-high 20-points.

Sophomore guard Alex Caruso and junior guard Jamal Jones each finished tied for a team-high 14 points. Caruso also finished with a game-high seven assists.

Texas A&M heads to Baton Rouge Wednesday to take on the LSU Tigers at 7 p.m. in the Pete Maravich Assembly Center.

Antwan Space just as he did with 4.4 seconds left in the Aggies 57-56 win over Tennessee Jan. 11.

"With eight seconds on the clock, we wanted the last shot,” Kennedy said. “We drew it up for Space to fake the handoff to Jamal [Jones] because we thought he'd attract a lot of attention. [Jarnell] Stokes did a really good job of playing defense on him, and if you know Antwan, if he thinks a big man is guarding him, he's going to shoot a three. We were really blessed that the ball went in. That's his shot. I don't love it every time, but it seems like it works against Tennessee."

At the 6:11 point in the first half, A&M junior Kourtney Roberson stole the ball from Jarnell Stokes and finished with a two-handed dunk.

With 2.4 seconds left in the game, Tennessee head coach Cuonzo Martin called a timeout just as Tennessee’s Antonio Barton hit a three-point shot that would have ended the game. Stokes would get fouled and score on the following possession, but would fail to make the free throw, sending the game into overtime.