Reeling Aggies return to Reed

Published: Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Updated: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 23:02

Basketball

Tanner Garza

Junior guard Jamal Jones lets a shot fly during a 75-67 win over South Carolina on Jan. 15, a game in which Jones scored 22 points and shot 9-12 from the free throw line.

After playing four of its last five games on the road, the Texas A&M men’s basketball team will return at 8 p.m. Wednesday to Reed Arena to host Mississippi State (13-8, 3-5 SEC).

Only three other SEC schools — Kentucky, Florida and Alabama — have a similar stretch of road games on their respective schedules. The Aggies have lost their last five games, dropping them to 10th overall in the SEC.

Head coach Billy Kennedy said the losing streak has had an effect on his team.

“Losing takes a toll on you and that’s something you have to keep fighting through,” Kennedy said. “We have some guys that are going through some things that they have never been through before. This is when metal hits metal and you find out what you’re made of.”

In their previous matchup this season, the Aggies (12-9, 3-5 SEC) lost 81-72 to MSU in Starkville in overtime, starting their current five-game skid. The Bulldogs were able to overcome career-best performances from two A&M players. Junior guard Jamal Jones led both teams with 24 points and freshman forward Davonte Fitzgerald added 20 points off the bench.

Since the game in Starkville, Jones and Fitzgerald have struggled to replicate their offensive success. In the last four games, Jones and Fitzgerald have averaged 7.8 and 5.8 points per game, respectively.

Despite its recent struggles, A&M has played well at home this season, going 11-2 overall and 2-1 in SEC play.

MSU visits College Station for the first time, led by sophomore guard Craig Sword, whose 13.4 points per game is best on the team.