Kyle Field Tunnel

The Texas A&M football team runs onto the field before taking on the LSU Tigers.

Following the it's 74-72 win over LSU, No. 19 Texas A&M is headed to Jacksonville, Florida for the Tax Slayer Gator Bowl, where the Aggies will face North Carolina State. 

A&M will face the Wolfpack on December 31, 2018 at 6:30 p.m. at TIAA Stadium in Jacksonville, Florida, and the game will be televised on ESPN. This is the 40th bowl appearance in program history.

A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher said in a statement that he is grateful for the invitation to the Gator Bowl. 

"We are very excited to be facing a very good North Carolina State team in a New Year’s Eve bowl game," Fisher said. "The Gator Bowl is a first-class event run by a first-class organization and the city is a great destination. I’m certain the 12th Man will enjoy its time in Florida."

Fisher said the Wolfpack presents a challenge to the Aggies and is looking forward to preparing for the game. 

“North Carolina State has a very good team and we are looking forward to the challenge. We will have our work cut out for us,” Fisher said.

Texas A&M Director of Athletics Scott Woodward said in a statement that he is excited to continue the 2018 football season and is especially happy to continue it in Florida.

“We are proud and excited to continue the 2018 season in the TaxSlayer Gator Bowl. It is one of college football's most prestigious postseason games, and is run by an experienced, first-class organization," Woodward said. "On behalf of Coach Fisher, our team, and our fans, we are looking forward to the chance to visit Jacksonville to take on the North Carolina State Wolfpack. NC State has an excellent football team and the game should be an exciting challenge on a national venue in a great setting.”

This is the first time the Aggies will face the Wolfpack, but it isn't the first time A&M will appear in the Gator Bowl. 

A&M faced Tennessee on December 28, 1957 with Paul "Bear" Bryant serving as the Aggies head coach. They lost to the Volunteers 3-0. 

The Aggies head into the bowl game after finishing 8-4 on the season. With the win over LSU, A&M took possession of second place in the SEC west. 

Angel Franco is a telecommunication media studies senior and sports editor for The Battalion.