Men's Basketball vs. Tennessee

Texas A&M head coach Billy Kennedy is the 21st men's basketball coach in program history.

Billy Kennedy will not return as head coach of the Texas A&M men’s basketball team after posting a 13-17 overall record in the 2018-19 season.

A&M will release Kennedy after the Aggies exit the SEC tournament, according to Brent Zwerneman of the Houston Chronicle.

In his eight seasons as head coach for the Aggies, Kennedy put up a 150-115 record that included three 20-win seasons and two Sweet Sixteen appearances in the NCAA tournament in 2016 and 2018.

He also coached six players that have made their way into the NBA, including first-round draft choice Robert Williams III and current All-Star and Milwaukee Buck Khris Middleton.

Kennedy’s current contract runs through 2021 with an annual salary of $2.5 million after an extension in June 2016.

The Aggies are set to play against Vanderbilt in the first round of the SEC conference tournament on Wednesday. Tipoff is set for 8:30 p.m. and will be televised on SEC Network.

(1) comment

Boone76

Good move. A&M can do much better.