Jones scores 19, leads Aggie men to win

Published: Thursday, February 13, 2014

Updated: Monday, February 17, 2014 17:02

Basketball

Jayavel Arumugam

Junior guard Jamal Jones drives to the basket against Jarell Martin in the Aggies 83-73 win Wednesday at Reed Arena. Jones finished the game with a team-high 19 points.

Behind a 19-point performance by junior guard Jamal Jones, the Texas A&M men’s basketball team prevailed 83-73 over the
LSU Tigers.

Texas A&M (14-10, 5-6 SEC) started slowly in the first half, allowing the Tigers (15-8, 6-5 SEC) to open on an 8-2 run. Freshman forward Devonte Fitzgerald scored eight points in a 46-second span to help the Aggies take an 18-10 lead. The Aggie bench kept A&M in the game as it outscored the Tigers’ bench 33-4.

With 1:40 to go in the first half, Fitzgerald left the game with an apparent knee injury, but managed to put weight on it with help from the training staff.

In the second half, junior forward Kourtney Roberson threw down a dunk on LSU forward Jordan Mickey to extend the A&M lead to 50-39. The Aggies closed out the second half shooting 52 percent from the field.

LSU had four players score in double figures with Shavon Coleman leading all scorers with 21 points. A&M shot 48 percent for the game and held LSU to just 25 percent from
three-point range.

Kourtney Roberson added a double-double performance, scoring 12 points and grabbing 10 rebounds to help the Aggies win the rebounding battle 39-32.

A&M will next hit the hardwood as it travels to take on the Vanderbilt Commodores at 12:30 p.m. Saturday in Memorial Gymnasium in
Nashville, Tenn