Gilbert leads Aggie women over Crimson Tide

Win marks 9th-consecutive 20-win basketball season

Published: Monday, February 17, 2014

Updated: Monday, February 17, 2014 18:02

The No. 14 Texas A&M women’s basketball team defeated the Alabama Crimson Tide 71-46 Sunday in Tuscaloosa, improving its road record in SEC play to 5-1.

With the win, the Aggies (20-6, 10-2 SEC) bolster their streak of consecutive 20-win seasons to nine. 

Sophomore Jordan Jones continued to lead with her play at point guard, posting 10 assists for the fourth time this season and continuing to set the tone for the Aggies on defense.

“I think Jordan Jones is the best defensive point guard in our league,” said A&M head coach Gary Blair. “I think she does a great job. The charge that she took and the other things she did against Alabama’s guards early, she did really well.” 

A&M was able to hold Alabama (11-14, 4-8 SEC) to less than 50 points, marking the eighth time they’ve done so this season, and the fourth time against an SEC opponent. 

“This team was built with defense first,” Blair said.

Senior center Karla Gilbert led the team in scoring with 15 points and has scored double-digit points in the last six games.

“[Gilbert] was a load in there. She could have gone for 30 tonight if I kept her in,” Blair said. “We don’t see man-for-man, we see zone. This is the most man-for-man we’ve seen. It’s not that [Gilbert] is Shaquille O’Neal or something, but she takes up three people converging on her and does a pretty good job with dumping the ball out. She only has one turnover in 22 minutes and 15 points. That’s pretty good.”

The Aggies were able to fill up the box score as 12 individual players combined for the team’s 71 points.

“I have balance and I have depth,” Blair said. “When you win a national championship, people want to come to Alabama football and Texas A&M basketball. When I signed those six sophomores, and that No. 2 recruiting class, I still got five out of six. They are all perimeter players, and they are all good. That’s what happens. You have to build up depth and find kids who are willing to share. Kids come to Alabama because of tradition, and they come to A&M because of tradition, too.”

The Aggies will complete their two-game road stint in Oxford against the Ole Miss Rebels Thursday night, before returning to Reed Arena at 1 p.m. Sunday for a showdown against Kentucky, which will be televised on ESPN2.