Georgia tops men's basketball on road

Published: Sunday, February 9, 2014

Updated: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 01:02

The Texas A&M men’s basketball team’s (13-10, 4-6 SEC) road woes continued Saturday as it lost 62-50 to the Georgia Bulldogs on Saturday in Athens, Ga. 

The Aggies fell behind early, allowing Georgia to start the game on a 5-0 run. Both teams struggled offensively in the first half as each had five-minute scoring droughts. A&M trailed throughout the first half, but closed the gap to 25-23 after a three-point buzzer beater by junior guard Jamal Jones, the Aggies’ lone three-pointer on a night the team shot 1-of-19 from beyond the arc.

Jones — the Aggies’ leading scorer — finished with 17 points on 5-of-13 shooting and led the Aggies in scoring for the 11th time this season. 

The Aggies first and only lead came with 10:21 remaining after freshman Shawn Smith’s layup put the Aggies up 40-39.

On one possession, the Aggies grabbed three offensive boards but failed to convert on their second-chance opportunities. The scramble resulted in a Georgia fast break layup to put the Bulldogs up five with 4:20 remaining.  

Charles Mann, the Bulldogs’ leading scorer this season, helped extend Georgia’s lead to 12 after hitting four free throws in the final 1:09 to seal the game.  

Georgia’s defense held A&M from converting a field goal for the final eight minutes of the game.

Davonte Fitgerald, A&M freshman forward and Atlanta native, grabbed a career-high six rebounds and two points in his return to his home state.

Saturday’s loss drops the Aggies to 0-3 all-time against Georgia. A&M is now 1-5 in SEC road games, with its only win coming off a last second three-point shot by sophomore Antwan Space on Jan. 11 at Tennessee.

The Aggies match up against the LSU Tigers at 8 p.m. Wednesday in Reed Arena.