Gamecocks wallop Aggies, 80-52

Published: Thursday, January 30, 2014

Updated: Thursday, January 30, 2014 00:01

The Texas A&M men’s basketball team suffered a 80-52 loss to the South Carolina Gamecocks Wednesday night in Columbia, S.C.

A&M trailed the entire first half, allowing South Carolina to start the game on a 10-2 run. At the 9:13 mark in the first half, freshman guard Shawn Smith hit two free throws to close the gap to six points, but the momentum quickly shifted back to the Gamecocks as they closed the first half on a 41-21 run.

Texas A&M opened the second half on a 13-5 run to close the gap to 34-46, but that was as close as the Aggies would get. South Carolina stayed consistent on offense, outscoring the Aggies 36-18 to close the game.

The South Carolina zone defense kept all A&M players from scoring double-digits. The Aggies shot 35.6 percent from the floor on 16-of-45 shooting. The Aggies were unable to take care of the ball, resulting in 18 turnovers.

Junior guard Jamal Jones and freshman forward Davonte Fitzgerald, the Texas A&M leading scorers, were held to a combined 15 points on
4-of-15 shooting.

The Aggies allowed four Gamecocks to have double-digit point performances. Freshman guard Duane Notice had a career night against the Aggies, scoring 19 points and grabbing four rebounds.

The result marks the Aggies fourth loss in a row and the first ever loss against the Gamecocks.

A&M next hits the hardwood against the No. 3 Florida Gators at 3 p.m. Saturday in Gainesville, Fla.