Commodores fend off Aggies

A&M drops third straight against Vanderbilt, 66-55

Published: Sunday, January 26, 2014

Updated: Sunday, January 26, 2014 23:01

Smith

Courtesy

Freshman guard Shawn Smith drives to the hoop in Saturday’s loss to Vanderbilt in Reed Arena.

The Texas A&M men’s basketball team (12-7, 3-3 SEC) suffered a 66-55 loss at the hands of the Vanderbilt Commodores (10-8, 2-4 SEC) on Saturday at Reed Arena. The loss marked the third straight game the Aggies have dropped, with the previous two coming from Mississippi State and Kentucky.

Texas A&M head coach Billy Kennedy said his players continued to pass up open shots and stressed the importance of the team members regaining their confidence.

“We need to get in the gym, put some shots up and build our confidence back up,” Kennedy said. “When you have a team that struggles scoring, you’ve got to try and make some easy buckets.”

The Aggies failed to find their rhythm as they shot 19-57 on 33.3 percent shooting from the floor.

Junior guard Jamal Jones converted only one shot on his nine attempts, he was perfect from the foul line — converting all four of his free throws.

Freshman forward Davonte Fitzgerald only played 13 minutes due to early foul trouble in the first half. He never found his rhythm, missing all three of his shots.

Junior forward Kourtney Roberson came away with 14 points on 6-of-8 shooting, while adding 10 rebounds in the process, which totaled his third double-double of the season.

“I talked to coach earlier this week and he told me I need to get more aggressive and try and score more,” Roberson said. “He said I needed to get back to getting offensive rebounds and keep talking on defense. I tried to do all of that today.”

A&M next hits the hardwood against the South Carolina Gamecocks at 6 p.m. Wednesday in Columbia, S.C. The previous meeting between the two teams in Reed Arena ended with a come-from-behind 75-67 victory for the Aggies.