Cadets defeat Roughnecks 5-0 in Fall World Series debut

Published: Thursday, October 18, 2012

Updated: Thursday, October 18, 2012 03:10

The Cadets (Maroon), boosted by the performance of senior pitcher Kyle Martin, defeated the Roughnecks (White) 5-0 in the inaugural game of A&M’s Fall World Series scrimmage Wednesday afternoon.

As expected from a debut scrimmage, there was a mixed bag of results with players shaking off accumulated rust. The Cadets were able to take advantage of some early Roughneck errors and claim a commanding lead with several unearned runs. A positive takeaway, however, was pitching.

“I thought our two starting pitchers did an outstanding job,” A&M head coach Rob Childress said. “Like I told the team, usually the team that makes the fewest mistakes wins and the Cadets are the ones that made the most routine plays and threw more strikes.”

Martin, making the transition from closer to starter, was especially poised on the mound. He would strike out seven and allow no runs through five innings.

Martin said the adjustment to more of a starting role was something he focused on throughout his participation in summer leagues.

“The adjustment’s been great, I worked all summer on it, played a couple games on the Bombers and got a little taste of starting,” Martin said. “All fall it’s been a little up and down but I feel pretty comfortable with it and I’m gaining confidence as we go.”

Martin, who finished the 2011 season with a 3.20 ERA and seven saves, impressed Childress.

“I thought [Martin] was outstanding, the best he’s thrown all fall,” Childress said. “That’ll be his last outing this fall and it’s a good one to go into the off season. I’m really proud of him. He threw four pitches for a strike and really pitched.”

Most of the action, meanwhile, would take place in the bottom of the fifth. Sophomore Chance Bolcerek and freshman Danny Holst would both reach on errors. A single by freshman Hunter Melton brought both runners home. With two more men on base, freshman Jaxton McNair would hit another two-RBI single. The Cadets never looked back after clinching their 4-0 advantage.

Childress said he wasn’t overly concerned with some of the early series jitters.

“They’ve been good for the most part all fall long but when you put people in the stands and something on the line, then their anxiety level tends to rise a little bit,” Childress said. “I saw that in some young guys. Hopefully we’ll see something better out of them tomorrow.”

The Fall World Series continues with game two at 3 p.m. Thursday in Olsen Field at Blue Bell Park.