Best seats in the House

Published: Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 19:07

spo_0912_kylefieldmigration_SLF1.gif

Abbey Adkison - THE BATTALION

Kyle Field Capacity: 82,600, Built in 1927, 1929 Best student seat: Second deck, row 1, 50-yard line. In 2004, my freshman year, Texas Tech came to town in what stands out to me as the most memorable game I have ever seen in Kyle Field. Late in the game I found myself watching from the best seat in the house. Both teams scored a combined 31 points in the fourth quarter before heading into overtime. Texas A&M running back Courtney Lewis broke a 25-yard run for a touchdown to put the Aggies ahead. On fourth down, Melvin Bullitt swatted away Tech QB Sonny Cumbie's pass in the endzone to end the game. It was like a bomb went off in the stadium. I couldn't hear a single thing, and I was legitimately afraid I was going to be pushed over the edge.

reedarena-06texas.gif

Photo courtesy of Aggie Athletics

Reed Arena Capacity: 12989 Built in 1998 Best student seat: Section 109, Row R, Seat 9. Every Aggie remembers where they were when "The Shot" happened. I was in the best seat in Reed Arena. Section 109 is in the NE corner of the arena, so the student's view isn't blocked at all by the basket, and you can see everything develop. On that fateful day in March, Acie Law IV took the inbounds pass, put the ball on the floor once, crossover dribbled in front of Texas' Daniel Gibson and hit the game-winner. From my seat, all I could feel was this pressure on my back as everyone pushed to rush the court. I was basically thrown down the 20 or more rows to the court with the rest of the students. All you could see was white as the shot went in, and then thousands of raised arms and a deafening roar.

MG_0144.gif

Abbey Adkison - THE BATTALION

Olsen Field Capacity: 7,053 Built in 1978 Best student seat: section 107, 8 rows up. With all the different actions and traditions that go on in the student section at Olsen, there is really never a dull moment. In 2005, when No. 3 Texas came to town, the Aggies won one of the most exciting baseball games I have ever seen. With two outs in the bottom of the 10th, Texas reliever J. Brent Cox sailed a pitch passed the catcher, allowing Cliff Pennington to score from third to give the Aggies a one-run victory in front of a sold-out crowd.

_MG_0113.gif

Abbey Adkison - THE BATTALION

G. Rollie White Coliseum Capacity: 7,800 Built in 1954 Best student seat: Section 121, Rows 1-5 As a freshman, I got my first official taste of the Lone Star Showdown when I watched the Aggies take down the University of Texas. I didn't know much about volleyball then (and I still don't know THAT much now), but I did walk out of G. Rollie White with my blood pumping and goosebumps. We sat in section 121, which is along the curve, and it was perfect because we were a just enough of an angle to see the serves curve all over the place and yet still see the entire court. The Aggies rattled off three straight game victories after losing the first to the 'Horns that night, and in true Aggie style, crushed Texas in the final game, 30-21. It was my first experience in the Holler House, and still my favorite.

_MG_0099.gif

Abbey Adkison - THE BATTALION

Aggie Soccer Stadium Capacity: 3,000 Built in 1994 Best student seat: SE corner, on the field next to the stands. In August 2006, No. 3 North Carolina came to College Station. In front of an NCAA record crowd of more than 8,000, double capacity, the Aggies beat the Tar Heels, 1-0, in double overtime. It was so crowded that I was standing just out of bounds on the grass in the SE corner of the stadium. We were right there on the field, watching corner kicks from three feet away and so close to the action we could touch it. On the winning play, when the ball crossed into the opposite side of the field, those of us standing there crept out onto the field just in time to see Ashlee Pistorious rip a shot past the goalie for the win.

_MG_0085.gif

Abbey Adkison - THE BATTALION

Softball Complex Capacity: 1,750 Opened in 1994 Best student seat: Section 4, 7 ows up. I was sitting in section 4 when Florida came to town in the Summer of 2007 for the super regional finals. In the final game I was able to watch Amanda Scaraborough through a complete game and a shutout, her 10th of the season, from directly behind home plate. The Aggies had lost earlier that day in the second game of the series on a Florida walk-off home run. The Aggies came into the third and final game and completely dominated the Gators. Sitting just behind the plate and to the right, I watched every single pitch Scaraborough threw, and every hit the Aggies had.