Auburn stands in way of A&M road streak

Published: Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Updated: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 23:01

The No. 17 Texas A&M women’s basketball team will travel to Auburn, Ala., to take on the Auburn Tigers at 5 p.m. Thursday night in Auburn Arena.

A&M (16-5, 6-1 SEC) is the only team that has yet to lose on the road in SEC play this season.

Sophomore guard Courtney Walker is coming off back-to-back 20-point performances against Missouri and Tennessee and is averaging 13.9 points per game for the season. Walker, who was named to the Naismith Trophy Watch List and was a Preseason First Team All-SEC selection, has made 89.6 percent of her free throws while going 43-of-48 behind the line. Walker is the only player on the team to receive SEC Player of the Week honors this season.

The Tigers (11-9, 2-5 SEC) are on a three-game skid, but Walker said she realizes the pressure of playing on the road in a league like the SEC.

“The SEC is top to bottom,” Walker said. “You have to compete every single night and there are no breaks. [Auburn has] upset a few people this year and played a few teams very well, so going in there we’re going to have to have the same type of focus.”

The Tigers are led by a tandem of sister forwards in Tyrese and Tra’Cee Tanner from Birmingham, Ala. Tyrese is the team’s leading scorer and defensive rebounder, averaging 16.2 points and four defensive rebounds per game. Tra’Cee leads the Tigers with three offensive rebounds per game and has added 10.4 points per game.

“Auburn is very athletic,” said Gary Blair, Texas A&M head coach. “They just lost three in a row, [but] they have played very well. This last game is the only game all year that they’ve gotten blown out.”

In addition to improving their road conference record to 4-0, the Aggies hope to remain tied for first in the SEC with a win against Auburn.

“If we take care of Auburn, we’re going to go in there with a lot of confidence knowing we have [won] four out of four road games,” Blair said.

After Thursday’s game, the Aggies travel to Memorial Gym in Nashville, Tenn., where they will tip off against the No. 16 Vanderbilt Commodores at 1 p.m. Sunday on Fox Sports Southwest.