Aggies mauled in Baton Rouge

LSU snaps A&M's 2-game win streak with 68-49 victory

Published: Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Updated: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 23:02

The Texas A&M basketball team fell to the LSU Tigers Wednesday night 68-49. The loss snapped the Aggies two-game win streak and evened the season series between the two schools at 1-1.

The Aggies (16-12, 7-8 SEC) started out the game strong, jumping out to an 11-4 lead just shy of five minutes into first half. However, with three and a half remaining minutes remaining in the first half, LSU went on a 19-0 run that increased its lead to 28-15.

LSU (17-10, 8-7 SEC) took a 30-24 lead into halftime and would not relinquish its lead for the rest of the game. The Tigers out-rebounded the Aggies 41-31, despite A&M forcing 12 turnovers and posting 11 steals.

The Aggies shot poorly from the field the entire night, making only 30.8 percent of their field goals on 16-of-52 shooting.  LSU’s freshman forward Jordan Mickey made points even more difficult to come by with his five blocked shots.

Junior guard Jordan Green came off the bench to lead the Aggies in scoring with 12 points, making two of the Aggies’ four three-pointers.  Green was the only A&M player able to break into double-digit points.

LSU forward Jarell Martin terrorized the A&M defense with 20 points on 7-of-9 from the field as the Tigers extended their streak of home wins to seven straight.

With the loss, the record between the two schools now sits at 16-12 in favor of LSU.

The Aggies will return to Reed Arena Saturday to host the Ole Miss Rebels in a 5 p.m. showdown which will be televised on Fox Sports Net.