Aggies extend shutout streak to seven games

A&M soccer defeats South Carolina and Auburn over the weekend

Published: Sunday, September 23, 2012

Updated: Sunday, September 23, 2012 23:09

Soccer photo

Chase Krumholz - THE BATTALION

Senior forward Catalina Clavijo celebrates after scoring a goal against Auburn Sunday afternoon at Ellis Field.

Another weekend in the books, and the No. 10 Aggie soccer team (10-1, 4-0) shutout streak rolls on, extending to seven games with 2-0 wins over South Carolina on Friday and Auburn on Sunday. The win streak stands at eight games overall.

Head coach G Guerrieri said the team’s play has been “special.”

“The back line is playing well,” Guerrieri said. “Our midfield has been able to keep the other team at bay which makes it difficult for them to try and get any other balls behind us.”

In the team’s inaugural season in the Southeastern Conference, A&M tops the SEC’s Western division and joins fellow conference first-timer Missouri as the only teams to reach 4-0 in conference play. Sophomore forward Annie Kunz said the team has started the conference schedule in the best possible manner.

“We're starting off on the right foot going into the SEC,” Kunz said. “We've got three wins under our belt against three really good SEC teams. I think we're heading in the right direction as we move toward the end of the season and playoffs.”

Sophomore goalkeeper Jordan Day’s seventh consecutive shutout knotted her in a tie for the longest streak in SEC history. Day said she defers the credit to her teammates.

“I have to give so much credit to our defense,” Day said. “They've been doing so well in not allowing the other team to get off good shots. They've been really hard and powerful in their tackles and high balls. They've made life a lot easier on me by not having to make as many saves because they're doing the work for me.”

Friday the Aggies got two goals on 17 shots, from sophomore midfielder Meghan Streight off a set piece in the 25th minute and Kunz in the 64th. The Aggies missed on key early opportunities but Guerrieri said the team made corrections to put South Carolina away, 2-0.

“In the first half, I thought we were a little bit frantic,” Guerrieri said. “In the second half, we didn't allow that to happen. We battled for balls and then quickly got the second ball under control and that allowed us to play out of it.”

Two days later, A&M fielded the same result, this time with a 2-0 win over Auburn. Senior forward Catalina Clavijo and senior midfielder Beth West netted the only goals for either team, and the Aggies cruised to complete the unblemished weekend.

The Aggies next see action on the road Friday against Kentucky at 6:00 P.M.