Texas A&M vs. LSU

Sophomores Kendrick Rogers and Quartney Davis celebrate with teammates after sending the game into overtime.

With 84 points scored in overtime between No. 22 Texas A&M and LSU, the Aggies earned their first win over the No. 7 Tigers since 1995.

The game, which went into seven overtime periods, was the highest-scoring game in Football Bowl Subdivison history as A&M topped SEC West opponent LSU 74-72.

“That was a heck of a football team,” A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher said. “You say you have to make one more play. That’s what we did. How proud I am of our players. It’s about the players, period. They set a standard for what that Aggie helmet means.”

The A&M offense, which struggled massively in the second half, came alive in overtime to score five touchdowns and two field goals.

A&M outgained LSU in total offensive yards 521 to 496, and garnered 234 rushing yards on 56 carries and 287 passing yards.

The leading rusher for the Aggies was junior running back Trayveon Williams, who accumulated 204 yards on 35 carries and two touchdowns.

“This is absolutely outstanding,” Williams said. “This really paves the way this program is going. Jimbo is a great coach. We are so thankful to have him as our coach.”

Sophomore quarterback Kellen Mond added 80 yards on 20 carries and went 23-of-49 for 287 passing yards.

“That was a crazy game but that’s the kind of game we live for,” Mond said. “We showed as a team that we’re never going to quit.”

Mond’s favorite target was sophomore wide receiver Quartney Davis, who had 101 yards on seven receptions.

LSU’s leading rusher was junior quarterback Joe Burrow, who rushed for 100 yards on 29 carries. Burrow also went 25-of-38 passing to add 270 yards.

Williams kicked off scoring for the Aggies with a 10-yard touchdown run to cap off a 10-play, 95-yard drive.

The Tigers answered on the next drive, with Burrow rushing 22 yards into the end zone to tie the game at 7-7. The signal caller’s rush doubled LSU’s rushing yards at that point in the game.

The Aggies opened the second quarter with their second touchdown of the night — a 10-yard pass to junior tight end Jace Sternberger.

On LSU’s next drive, the A&M defense stepped up as senior defensive lineman Daylon Mack recorded a sack on Burrow for a nine-yard loss to force a fourth and 22.

The Aggies responded with a 33-yard field goal to take a 17-7 lead over the Tigers.

The Tigers answered with a field goal of their own to go into halftime trailing the Aggies 17-10.

On their first drive of the second half, LSU used a seven-yard touchdown pass from Burrow to sophomore wide receiver Justin Jefferson to tie the game at 17-17.

A&M threw three consecutive incomplete passes to go fourth and 10, but LSU junior wide receiver Jonathan Giles dropped Braden Mann’s 46-yard punt to give the Aggies possession on the LSU 29-yard line. The Aggies made use of the field position with a one-yard touchdown dash by Williams to give A&M the 24-17 lead.

LSU junior linebacker Devin White forced an A&M fumble on the LSU 42-yard line, which LSU junior linebacker Michael Divinity Jr. returned for a touchdown to tie the game again at 24-24.

Both A&M and LSU scored on passing plays at the end of the fourth quarter to send the game into its first overtime, tied 31-31. Davis caught the game-tying touchdown pass for a 19-yard score that saved the Aggies from another loss.

The first overtime ended with a tie after field goals by both teams. The second ended with two three-yard touchdown runs to tie the game at 41-41.

Two 25-yard passing touchdowns followed for both teams in the third overtime, as well as two field goals in the fourth. In the fifth overtime, two failed two-point conversions followed two passing touchdowns to leave the game tied at 58-58.

Sternberger caught a touchdown pass in sixth overtime to put the Aggies up 66-58, but an LSU rushing touchdown soon followed to send the game into the seventh and final overtime.

Burrow put LSU on top 72-66 with a 10-yard rushing touchdown, but a defensive stop caused the two-point conversion attempt to fail.

“You couldn’t ask for anything better than that [play],” A&M senior linebacker Otaro Alaka said. “It’s just crazy. We were talking about it this whole week. What would be a better way to send the seniors out with a win over a team we haven’t beat since joining the SEC.”

Alaka ended the night with 11 total tackles.

Davis caught the 17-yard game-tying touchdown pass and sophomore wide receiver Kendrick Rogers caught the pass to complete the two-point conversion, ending the game 74-72.

“I was relieved,” Rogers said. “We work really hard, and every practice is a grind. ... I don’t know what my teammates said; it was just a bunch of yelling.”

The Aggies will take the field once again for a bowl game in December.