A&M women's golf team looks forward to the 2013 season

Published: Friday, September 21, 2012

Updated: Friday, September 21, 2012 02:09

The Lady Aggie Golf season is approaching the start of the 2013 season. As the Aggies look forward to their season, there is optimism from returning standouts, but also a sense unfamiliarity. The Aggies will be venturing into several never before played courses.

The Aggies are led by Coach Trelle McCombs who is entering her sixth year as head coach. The Aggies have made it to the National Championship tournament in four of the five years under Coach McCombs’ tenure. The team’s culture is set by a desire to be the best in the nation through hard work and dedication. A high standard has been set for team by focusing on the process of training and getting better each day.

“Our goal is to win every time we go out,” McCombs said. “But if we focus on just winning [we’ll get too wrapped up in the results], so we have to focus on our process and what we can do in that moment of time. If we are doing that to the best of our ability, the results will take care of themselves.”

It is the Aggies’ toughness and competitive nature that will push one another to get better. The Aggies will be led by several returning stars that performed well in last year’s national championship tournament. Juniors Natalie Reeves and Katerina Ruzickova will try to help improve upon the Aggies 16th place finish last year. Ruzickova, originally from the Czech Republic, holds the school record for the two best scores ever posted in the NCAA Championship tournament, yet she is still striving to become even better..

“For this upcoming season I am preparing a little differently than I used to these last two years,” Ruzickova said. “[This year] is more organized and more disciplined. We were talking about the goals of the season with the team and with the coaches and what we wanted to stand out. Being the best college player is always my goal and this year I really want to strive for that.”

The Aggies are poised to make their presence known in their first season in the SEC. The season kicks off September 21st in Franklin, Tennessee as the Aggies will take part in the Mason Rudolph Intercollegiate tournament hosted by Vanderbilt.