A&M suspends football player after Friday arrest

Published: Monday, February 4, 2013

Updated: Monday, February 4, 2013 02:02

COURTESY

Ennis

A&M defensive tackle Kirby Ennis was arrested Friday night on charges of publicly displaying a firearm and disorderly conduct after an incident at the intersection of Holleman Dr. and Harvey Mitchell Parkway.

Ennis was released early Saturday morning after posting a $2,000 bond. A&M spokesman Alan Cannon said Ennis has been blocked from participation in football activity.

"Texas A&M officials have been made aware of the arrest of football player Kirby Ennis and according to athletics department policy he is immediately suspended from all team activities pending further investigation,” Cannon said.

Police responded to an eyewitness report that said Ennis flashed a gun at another car while stopped at a stop light, according to a probable cause statement released by the College Station Police Department. The witness said Ennis sounded his horn at him several times and appeared to be “cussing” at him before showing the weapon.

The firearm was found in Ennis’ vehicle but he told police he tried to “ease” the gun into the back seat so as not to break a window and that his actions could not be construed as a threat.

Ennis started 11 games for A&M in 2012 and recorded 24 tackles and one sack.