A&M returns to Reed after road thriller

South Carolina visits Wednesda in SEC matchup

Published: Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Updated: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 23:01

Basketball

Tanner Garza

Senior guard Fabyon Harris directs the offense during a win over Mississippi Valley State.

After a 57-56 victory over the University of Tennessee Volunteers in Knoxville, Tenn., Saturday, the Texas A&M men’s basketball team (11-4, 2-0 SEC) is looking to build on its undefeated conference record Wednesday night in Reed Arena.

The Aggies will be matching up against a struggling South Carolina (7-8, 0-2 SEC) squad. Wednesday’s meeting will be just the second time the two schools have faced each other on the hardwood. Last season, A&M won against South Carolina in a 74-56 victory at Reed Arena. Guard Elston Turner, who has since graduated, contributed a game-high 28 points.

Junior guard Jamal Jones is coming off a career high 23-point game against Tennessee and the Lee College transfer is averaging 18.5 points per game in conference play.

After losing J-Mychal Reese due to a violation of athletic department rules, sophomore guard Alex Caruso has taken over point guard duties for the Aggies. Caruso currently leads the SEC in assists (77) and assists per game (5.1). On the defensive end, he ranks fourth in the conference in steals per game (2.4).

Although South Carolina holds a record below .500, the Gamecocks bring a balanced offensive attack to College Station. Three South Carolina players — Tyrone Johnson (11.9), Sindari Thronwell (11.7) and Brenton Williams (11.1) — are averaging double figures this season.

Wednesday’s matchup will be televised on SEC TV at 7 p.m. and will also be aired on the Texas A&M Radio Network.