A&M gets another shot at Georgia

Bulldogs control series, 2–0

Published: Thursday, February 6, 2014

Updated: Thursday, February 6, 2014 23:02

Basketball

Heran Guan

Sophomore guard Alex Caruso leads the SEC in assists with 106, averaging 4.8 assists per game.

The Texas A&M (13-9, 4-5 SEC) men’s basketball team will tip off against the Georgia Bulldogs (10-10, 4-4 SEC) at 7 p.m. Saturday in Athens, Ga.

A&M freshman forward Davonte Fitzgerald, who is from Atlanta, will return to his home state after being named SEC Freshman of the Week in January and playing in all 17 games this season.

Junior guard Jamal Jones leads A&M in scoring, averaging 11.8 points per game. In the Aggies 72-52 win over Mississippi State on Wednesday, Jones scored a game-high 20 points and made four shots from three-point range.

Sophomore guard Alex Caruso leads the SEC in assists with 106, averaging 4.8 assists per game. In Wednesday’s matchup against MSU, Caruso led the Aggies with 10 assists.

The Bulldogs leading scorer, sophomore guard Charles Mann, has averaged 13.5 points per game. Mann scored a career-high 24 points in Georgia’s 71-80 loss to rival Georgia Tech on Nov. 15.

The Bulldogs enter Saturday’s matchup on a three-game losing skid, but are 3-1 in SEC play at home.

Saturday’s matchup will be the third time the Aggies have played Georgia. The Bulldogs control the series, 2-0. In the previous matchup in February, A&M fell to the Bulldogs 52-46 at Reed Arena, with Georgia holding the Aggies to 24 percent shooting from the field. Senior guard Fabyon Harris scored 17 points in an attempt to bring the Aggies back.

Last year, Harris led A&M and ranked among SEC leaders by shooting 45 percent from three-point range. Currently, Harris is shooting 31 percent from beyond the arc.

The Aggies return to Reed Arena at 8 p.m. Wednesday to take on LSU (14-6, 5-3 SEC).