A&M downs Lumberjacks 9-2

Published: Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Updated: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 17:02

Maintaining a one-run lead heading into sixth inning, the Texas A&M offense decided to kick into high gear. Highlighted by a pair of singles by senior Mikey Reynolds and junior Krey Bratsen, the Aggies surged to a 6-2 margin and never looked back.

In the fifth inning on a passed ball, sophomore Daniel Mengden raced to second, sliding when he was halfway to second base. However, that seemed to be the only 'slip up' for A&M on Tuesday night.

Leadoff hitter and shortstop Reynolds went 4-5 on the night to lead A&M to a 9-2 win over the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks on Olsen Field at Blue Bell Park.

Reynolds also led defensively with three assists and two put outs. He said he just focuses and works hard.

"I just try to focus on the ball every pitch," Reynolds said. "I just try to play hard every day and hope [my teammates] follow."

A controversial strike kept him from hitting perfectly for the game and he said he was frustrated but didn't argue with the umpire.

Tuesday's game was the first start of the year for sophomore pitcher Corey Ray, striking out a career-best eight batters. He left in the sixth inning with a 3-2 lead.

Head coach Rob Childress said Ray is fighting for a spot on the weekend lineup so it was not a surprise to him.

"He's a guy that's vying for an opportunity to be a weekend starter," Childress said. "He's got that kind of stuff. Last year as a freshman he had that kind of stuff and he just doesn't see the same person in the mirror that we see."

The Aggies found hits in the fourth inning as they were able to load the bases with no outs. A&M relief pitching again came up aces, holding off any SFA comebacks with late game pitching.

Hoping to extend their four-game win streak, Texas A&M faces off against Texas Southern Wednesday at 6:35 pm at Blue Bell Park.