A&M dispatches MSU, halts 5-game losing streak

Published: Thursday, February 6, 2014

Updated: Thursday, February 6, 2014 01:02

Basketball

Heran Guan

Senior Kourtney Roberson scored 14 points and added six rebounds in the A&M win Wednesday.

Behind junior guard Jamal Jones’ game high 20 points, Texas A&M (13-9, 4-5 SEC) ended their five game losing streak by defeating the Mississippi State Bulldogs 72-52 at Reed Arena Wednesday.

A&M head coach Billy Kennedy said he was relieved to see his players play at a high level and end their losing streak.

“We’ve practiced hard, we just haven’t been able to respond to adversity,” Kennedy said. “I thought tonight was the first time in a couple weeks that we responded to adversity in the first half and didn’t hang our heads.”

To start the game, A&M struggled on offense, shooting 11-31 (35.5 percent) from the field and 1-12 (8.3 percent) from three-point range. The Aggies only committed one turnover in the first half and went into intermission tied at 26 with the Bulldogs.

The Aggies hit their stride offensively in the second half, increasing their shooting percentage to 69.2 percent on 18-26 shooting from the field. Meanwhile, A&M forced the Bulldogs to shoot under 38 percent.

As well as leading A&M in points, Jones also led the team with four three-pointers and seven rebounds.

“I’ve been in a slump, so I’ve been doing whatever I can to make shots and help the team anyway possible,” Jones said. “I’ve been spending a lot of time in the gym lately, so much that Coach told me to slow down a little bit and save my legs.”

The Aggies were helped by performances from junior forward Kourtney Roberson and sophomore guard Alex Caruso. In just 25 minutes, Roberson had 14 points and six rebounds, while Caruso added four points and 10 assists.

The Aggies will next take the court against the Georgia Bulldogs on Saturday at 7 p.m. in Athens, Ga.