A&M can’t recapture 2012 Rupp magic

No. 14 Kentucky handily dispatches Aggies, 68-51

Published: Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Updated: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 00:01

Unable to overcome early foul trouble, Texas A&M (12-6, 3-2 SEC) was defeated by No. 14 Kentucky (14-4, 4-1 SEC) on Tuesday at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Ky., in front of a crowd of 22,634. After starting SEC play with three straight wins, A&M lost its second conference game in a row.

Tuesday’s game was vastly different than the last time the Aggies travelled to Kentucky, when they handed UK head coach John Calipari his first home SEC loss during his tenure, beating the Wildcats 83-71.

Junior guard Jamal Jones, who set a career high with 24 points against Mississippi State on Sunday and came into the contest averaging 20.8 points in SEC play, was held to eight points in 21 minutes of play.

Jones struggled with fouls, racking up three before the first half was over and finished the game with four.

The Aggies were also without senior guard Fabyon Harris, who was held out of the game by A&M head coach Billy Kennedy. Harris is averaging 6.8 points per game and has 36 assists on the season.

Davonte Fitzgerald, reigning SEC Freshman of the Week, scored 12 points, which tied with sophomore guard Alex Caruso for highest on the team.

Caruso shot 66 percent (4-6) from the field and added four rebounds, three assists and three steals in 35 minutes played, all of which were team highs.

Freshman guard Shawn Smith also played 35 minutes, pulling in four rebounds and scoring eight points.

The loss drops A&M from second place to sixth place in the SEC, tied with LSU.

The Aggies return to Reed Arena at noon Saturday to face Vanderbilt (9-7, 1-3 SEC).