Silver Taps

Chandler Small: She sacrificed her first semester to attend Texas A&M

Published: Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Updated: Tuesday, February 5, 2013 17:02

chandler

Courtesy

Chandler Small, sophomore general studies major, poses with her twin brother Preston Small.

With her warm and contagious smile, Chandler Small could light up a room wherever she went. Her kind spirit and Christian upbringing made her someone who others loved to be around.

“She was just out there for everyone,” said Chandler’s mother, Renee Small. “She had a ton of friends; she met a friend everywhere she went.”

Although the sophomore general studies major hadn’t been an A&M student for very long, she still had a strong impact on fellow students. There was never a dull moment with Chandler.

“You always knew it would be a good time when she was around,” said Chandler’s friend and senior agricultural economics major, Kaitlin Coward. “She was very relatable to everybody. Everybody loved her for her easygoing, relatable self.”

Before officially becoming an Aggie, Chandler had originally decided to attend Baylor University. But after a visit to College Station, Renee said Chandler felt that A&M was where she belonged — even though she was a semester late.

“It’s just one of those things that you feel in your heart,” Renee said. “When she got [to College Station] it was just the right place for her. And in fact, it cost her a whole semester because when she made that decision it was too late to get into A&M.”

She began attending A&M in January 2012 and quickly found her niche.

Chandler loved country music. She loved to dance — she could two-step, three-step, polka and jitter bug. There wasn’t a song or artist’s name that she didn’t know. She actually made a lot of her friends going out dancing in College Station.

“That girl could dance like nobody I know,” said Chandler’s friend and senior agricultural business major at Sam Houston State, Mallory Blair. “She owned it. She loved to dance, and if a guy didn’t ask her to dance when we were at Harry’s, she would go track one down and ask them to dance.”

Chandler had so much confidence in herself and was always willing to give her opinion, even if no one asked.

“She would tell you how it was,” Mallory said. “She wouldn’t try to sugarcoat anything.”

To go with her outgoing personality and nickname “Diva,” Chandler possessed a passion for fashion, with a style of her own.

“She had her own look and style down to every accessory,” Renee said. “She had enough jewelry to open up her own shop.”

In fact, Chandler worked at a boutique in College Station named Southern Jewlz. In her free time, she was often either working at the boutique or shopping with friends to add on to her unique wardrobe.

“I can’t think of a single person in this world who had more fringe in their closet than that girl did,” Mallory said. “If she was dressed up, she always had fringe somewhere on her body.”

Chandler was always dressed up, always had a smile on her face, and always wanted to stand out — she thought it was boring to blend in to the crowd.

But if Chandler wasn’t dancing, shopping or watching Duck Dynasty, she was spending time at Lone Star Cowboy Church in Montgomery. She had a strong Christian faith and often drove there Monday nights to attend service.

“Her Christian upbringing probably shaped her with everything she did,” Mallory said. “She was always real polite, real nice. She always looked to God for answers. She went to [church] every Monday night no matter what was going on. If friends were getting together, she was still at the church.”

Chandler also made an effort to support her family. Her twin brother, Preston, was a member of a high school rodeo. Chandler was his biggest fan.

Some of the fondest memories Kaitlin had with Chandler were going to watch her twin brother compete in rodeos.

“Chandler helped and supported him always,” Renee said. “She attended all his rodeos, regardless of weather.”

She carried a smile that will forever be remembered by everyone that has ever had the honor to know her.

“Chandler is a beautiful young lady that all the cowboys in heaven are head over heels for already, I just know it,” said Ashleigh Sowell, senior agricultural communications and journalism major and online store manager at Southern Jewlz.

Chandler will be honored during Silver Taps at 10:30 p.m. Tuesday in Academic Plaza.