Scholar discusses religious, scientific explanations

Published: Thursday, October 18, 2012

Updated: Thursday, October 18, 2012 01:10

Evolutionists and creationists butt heads quite often in the academic setting and students, as well as members of the community, came together to listen to scientific reasoning for creationism that is well accepted among the scientific community.

More 100 people gathered in Rudder Auditorium on Wednesday to listen to Richard Gunasekera speak on “A Biblical Perspective on the Single Origin of Man”.

Gunasekera was a professor in the Trinity International, University of Houston and Texas A&M systems who received his doctorate from Baylor University.

The Texas A&M chapter of Ratio Christi — an organization devoted to the defense of Christianity, also called an apologetics alliance — is the group that brought him to speak.

Ratio Christi is meant to give scientific reasons for the Christian faith as displayed on their website.

“We desire to help keep believers spiritually grounded in a very secular college atmosphere,” the website reads. “Ratio Christi also seeks to share the Gospel in a truthful and tactful way with non-believers, as well as equip fellow believers.”

The point of Wednesday’s lecture was to explain the newest and most accepted scientific theories of origin. Gunasekera described the Human Genome Project and also the Out of Africa theory that point to mankind coming from one human origin.

Gunasekera said this was the main view of today’s scientist.

“The other theories, the majority of scientists reject,” Gunasekera said. “There are a few who might still remain with the original theory, but by and large the Out of Africa theory is accepted not only by scientists but anthropologist and paleontologist as well.”

There were a lot of mixed emotions when coming out of Rudder Theater and many students did not comment because they did not know what response to give to the lecture.

However, Kyle Cox, junior sociology major, said this experience and others like it have strengthened his Christian faith especially since coming to college.

“I grew up in a faith based family,” Cox said. “I didn’t grow up learning the scientific defending and proving faith. All that I’ve learned is mainly through college on the scientific aspect of proving a creator.”

This was one of a series of speakers that Ratio Christi is sponsoring over the next few weeks. The next speaker will be Robert Marks on Nov. 6 at Rudder Theater.